A little confused

canozzie

Ok I am fairly new to all of this and I have just purchased my first coin and will probably releasing it today Now I may be reading some of the forum posts wrong but the way that I am taking it is people are collecting and trading the coins. Now are they colecting them in the way of keeping them or is it in logs only. If people are collecting them and holding them well I am not really sure I want to release the coin I want it to travel. :D:(

Ok I am fairly new to all of this and I have just purchased my first coin and will probably releasing it today Now I may be reading some of the forum posts wrong but the way that I am taking it is people are collecting and trading the coins. Now are they colecting them in the way of keeping them or is it in logs only. If people are collecting them and holding them well I am not really sure I want to release the coin I want it to travel. :D:(

It seems that most coins don't travel very far and generally end up in someone's collection. You might consider drilling a hole in the coin or otherwise defacing it before letting it loose. This destroys the value and collectibility of the coin making it less desirable.

It seems that most coins don't travel very far and generally end up in someone's collection. You might consider drilling a hole in the coin or otherwise defacing it before letting it loose. This destroys the value and collectibility of the coin making it less desirable.

They still end up in someone's collection even if they have a mission?

There are a number of threads discussing geocoins in the wild. Like all travel bugs, geocoins are likely to dissappear someday, but most people that have released geocoins in the wild report significant success with thier traveling around. I've released over 75, and only a few have gone missing from a cache. Most of those were in caches that were muggled (which can and does happen to any traveller).

My experience has also been that coins seem to move a bit more often than travel bugs. Locally, a coin wouldn't stay in a cache more than a day or two before it was picked up. As they become more common in caches, they will sit around a bit longer than they used to - but they still move quickly.

My advice would be to go ahead and give releasing a coin in the wild a try. Expect that it will dissapear someday. And, hope that it travels a long while before it does.

Most of the coins that I've found in the wild have not been defaced, and have moved significantly before and after I found them. Some have been in baggies with a mission sheet, and other have been loose. That said, I usually drill a hole in my coins and attach a travel buddy (geoswag.com) or a laminated mission card to the coin. I release micro coins as-is and have had good success with their movement.

Most of the coins that I've found in the wild have not been defaced, and have moved significantly before and after I found them. Some have been in baggies with a mission sheet, and other have been loose. That said, I usually drill a hole in my coins and attach a travel buddy (geoswag.com) or a laminated mission card to the coin. I release micro coins as-is and have had good success with their movement.

Is there anyway I can download a template somwhere for a mission card?

Is there anyway I can download a template somwhere for a mission card?

I just bumped a topic, "For Those Of You Who Place Geocoins In Caches", which has a link to a PDF file for a small sheet, in four languages, that prints six to a page. The file is referenced in at least two posts, including my 'bump' post. These are not "tags", as such; rather, they are designed to go into the plastic holders that most coins come in. They can be trimmed to fit just about any size of bag, although the smallest make for a tight fit. I've been using these for a couple of months - I print them on 24# paper, which is a little stiffer than regular bond - and they have worked great, so far: no lost coins of which we are aware :(

The Geoswag.com "Travel Bug Buddy", that tokencollector mentions, is a metal tag much like a T-Bug tag, but smaller, and without any numbers, that can go through a hole. We have these on our Generic Geocoins, which come with holes as part of the design.