updates for the streetpilot 2620 (HELP!)

choosytwo

I bought a Garmin Streetpilot 2620 used. It has (had) city navigator v5 on it. I sent for the update from Garmin city navigator v8. It also has a usa topo map on it. I have this unit registered and the unlock code to the map. When I try to update the map it runs for about 1 and a half hours and the unit has "loading" on the screen..When it's done a message comes up that says "the Garmin device is not responding" and give three reasons, one is the unit turned on (yes) two is the unit connected to the computer (yes) the third i'm not sure about The Garmin device's interface option is set to Garmin or host mode. Does anyone know how to check this? The v5 map is gone the usa topo is still on the device..and i'm going on vacation today..and Garmin is closed........HELP!!

I'm having the *exact* same probem as you with my 2620. You ever get it figured out? Anybody? I've emailed Garmin about it but no reply yet and their phone support is sporting 1 hour waits.

Andy

I bought a Garmin Streetpilot 2620 used. It has (had) city navigator v5 on it. I sent for the update from Garmin city navigator v8. It also has a usa topo map on it. I have this unit registered and the unlock code to the map. When I try to update the map it runs for about 1 and a half hours and the unit has "loading" on the screen..When it's done a message comes up that says "the Garmin device is not responding" and give three reasons, one is the unit turned on (yes) two is the unit connected to the computer (yes) the third i'm not sure about The Garmin device's interface option is set to Garmin or host mode. Does anyone know how to check this? The v5 map is gone the usa topo is still on the device..and i'm going on vacation today..and Garmin is closed........HELP!!

I must have got a good tech on the phone. It is important to have the USB cable plugged in to the back of the computer and not in a hub or even the front if it is a desktop. I did that and it got past that hurdle. See if that helps

I havent had any problems but i havent updated since v7. I just cant bring myself to the $75 for the new serial. Too pricey for me right now. But i had no problems updating on that version last year.