Category Proposal: Xeriscape Gardens

I am taking advice and starting a garden category that I like, Xeriscape Gardens. I have a few questions before I put the category out for voting. Here is a very rough description that I have so far:

Quick Description:

Gardening that utilizes naturaly available water in an economical way.

Detailed Description:

Xeriscape gardening conserves water.

This can be achieved through using native/or appropriate plants for the garden area, and utilizing plants that need little or no additional water.

Plants whose natural requirements are appropriate to the local climate are emphasized, making sure that the plants used are appropriate for the environement that they are in.

This can lead to water conservation, healthier plants, less maintanance, cheaper maintanance.

Instructions for placing waymarks into this category:

1. Picture of garden

2. Picture of garden sign if available

Here is my question. I can make this only formalized gardens that have a sign announcing that it is a Xeriscape Garden. This would make it easily identifiable for me to ok. But that is very limiting, and I would like these sorts of gardens to be listed and acknowledged, whether they are part of a business landscaping, a home garden, or a city park that is not "listed" as a Xeriscape Garden.

Do you think that this is possible without ambiguity? How do you think that I should word it?

Thanks.

Do you think that this is possible without ambiguity? How do you think that I should word it?

Disclaimer - living in New England, I'm not very knowledgeable in this area (not that that will stop me from talking about it, though! :laughing: ). I don't remember ever seeing a garden in this region labeled or described with the term "Xeriscape".

In answer to your question, I don't see an easy way to open up this category to include unsigned gardens without making your job as an approver very difficult. Because the specific plants that constitute a xeric approach to gardening vary by region, I can't imagine wording that would make the accept/decline process straightforward. And as I understand it, even within a region, there are no really clear definitions of exactly what constitutes a low-water resource plant. Some might be more obvious than others, but xeriscape gardens often make use of varying 'degrees' of xeric plants. As a reviewer, it would be difficult (at best) to look at a picture or a few words submitted in a description and know whether or not the garden was truly representative of this category.

Consider this picture - would it qualify if I told you it came from a xeriscaped garden, or would you think that perhaps this garden would fit better in a different garden category?

xeriscape.jpg

I got that picture from a web site of a xeriscaped garden in Missouri (link). It would certainly qualify because it is labeled as such. But without the sign, how could a category manager know for sure?

I think you might be better off requiring the sign. I think this would really keep the category pure.

Do you have a feel for how common these signed gardens are? Surely there must be hundreds, anyway. That should be sufficient to make this a good category, even with the sign requirement.

I was afraid of that, you're probably right. But the sad thing is, it would really limit how many gardens we see. For instance in my town, there is one xeriscape garden that has a sign. But on the other hand, we have two lovely ones that I can think of off the top of my head, one that the city maintains that is gorgeous, and the other one is the landscaping for the local college. Beautiful examples, but without signs. I hate having these examples left out of the category.

Also, this is a pet thing on my part. Every definition of xeriscape says that it is "dry". I can't argue with the person who came up with the term in the first place. But personally, I think that it means using the natural amount of water for the area, with as little supplementation as possible. That can be very different depending on where you live. Here in Wenatchee, that may be 9 inches of average rainfall a year. In Hawaii, that could be 70 inches per year. I'm probably totally wrong in this, that's why I only included the "dry" definition in the category discription.

I don't know anything about Xeriscape Gardens, but to help clarify things, help us out.

The description for the garden "Plants whose natural requirements are appropriate to the local climate are emphasized, making sure that the plants used are appropriate for the environement that they are in."

It sounds to me like most gardens would naturally be this type. If they aren't, wouldn't the plants be "Exotics" from some other area and require special care? Are we trying to use a fancy name to hide the fact that it is now a "common" garden? Does the fancy name get added because a "Pro" says so?

You mentioned two gardens without signs: How do you KNOW that they are what you think they are? Did someone tell you? Web site? brochure? Gardener for that location? Is there documented PROOF in an office file that can be photographed or a web page to refer to? These could be used instead of a sign for public and private gardens.

I have to agree with C_T_D. A sign or other proof needs to be required.

Remember that there will always be something falling into those cracks. Arboretums are a favorite waymark of mine. I know of two locations that have a large variety of trees and shrubs with labels for each plant. One is a historic home, the other is a closed down college. Neither is titled as an Arboretum, so I can't use them as waymarks. I'm afraid that this time it will be the private gardener without Professional proof who will find the crack.

Edited by 8Nuts&MotherGoose

I understand what you are saying. It's too arbitrary for the general waymarker. I know that the gardens in my town are xeriscape, because I'm a Master Gardener and I've studied all of this. I guess, although it's sad to me, that I'll have to go with the proof required. Thanks. I'll flesh out the description in the category, as well.

How about this - add a requirement for including a written description of how this particular garden fits the category if no proof sign is available. Make the picture of a "Xeriscape Gardens" sign optional, but encourage posting a pic of one if available (some will include it if there is one, which will help make the review process easier).

For example, under "Instructions for placing waymarks into this category", include something like the following (the wording needs to be cleaned up, but this might serve as a starting point):

---------------------------

Not all gardens which simply make use of native plants are xeriscaped gardens. To qualify as a waymark in this category, you must provide either:

1) A photograph of a pre-existing sign that clearly indicates that this garden is a Xeriscaped Garden;

or

2) A detailed description of what specifically makes this particular garden fit the category. Include information about specific plants found in the garden, and how their use fits the category theme.

If you are providing a description (option 2) and a "Xeriscape Garden" sign is available, we encourage you to also include a picture of it with your waymark submittal.

If you aren't sure that this garden is truly xeric in nature, or can't clearly explain how it fits this category, please consider listing your garden in a different garden category instead.

------------------------------

This will allow people who are not experts to submit clearly labeled gardens, and allow people who are more knowledgeable to submit waymarks for the unlabeled gardens. The requirement for providing a detailed description when no sign is available should discourage people from attempting to get just any arbitrary garden listed in the category, but those who truly know and are motivated to get a waymark into the category should be willing to put a bit more work into their written description.

You'll just need to make sure all the group members are on the same page with respect to to accept/decline requirements.

Does that help?

:shocked:

Snip - I know that the gardens in my town are xeriscape, because I'm a Master Gardener and I've studied all of this.

Congrats on making Master Gardener. I am aware of the work that goes into becoming one, but I'm not aware of the details. Are Master Gardeners trained "in general" or "specialized"? Can a lay person have a Master Gardener certify a xeriscape garden? (I'm just puting thoughts out there. Answers to questions are not required.)

I do think that this category is worthwhile and do-able. IMO anyone wanting to include a signless waymark would have enough pride in that garden to make the detailed discription work.

Edited by 8Nuts&MotherGoose

How about this - add a requirement for including a written description of how this particular garden fits the category if no proof sign is available. Make the picture of a "Xeriscape Gardens" sign optional, but encourage posting a pic of one if available (some will include it if there is one, which will help make the review process easier).

For example, under "Instructions for placing waymarks into this category", include something like the following (the wording needs to be cleaned up, but this might serve as a starting point):

---------------------------

Not all gardens which simply make use of native plants are xeriscaped gardens. To qualify as a waymark in this category, you must provide either:

1) A photograph of a pre-existing sign that clearly indicates that this garden is a Xeriscaped Garden;

or

2) A detailed description of what specifically makes this particular garden fit the category. Include information about specific plants found in the garden, and how their use fits the category theme.

If you are providing a description (option 2) and a "Xeriscape Garden" sign is available, we encourage you to also include a picture of it with your waymark submittal.

If you aren't sure that this garden is truly xeric in nature, or can't clearly explain how it fits this category, please consider listing your garden in a different garden category instead.

------------------------------

This will allow people who are not experts to submit clearly labeled gardens, and allow people who are more knowledgeable to submit waymarks for the unlabeled gardens. The requirement for providing a detailed description when no sign is available should discourage people from attempting to get just any arbitrary garden listed in the category, but those who truly know and are motivated to get a waymark into the category should be willing to put a bit more work into their written description.

You'll just need to make sure all the group members are on the same page with respect to to accept/decline requirements.

Does that help?

:huh:

This looks great. Can I use a lot of your wording, or is this plagiarism? ;)

Snip - I know that the gardens in my town are xeriscape, because I'm a Master Gardener and I've studied all of this.

Congrats on making Master Gardener. I am aware of the work that goes into becoming one, but I'm not aware of the details. Are Master Gardeners trained "in general" or "specialized"? Can a lay person have a Master Gardener certify a xeriscape garden? (I'm just puting thoughts out there. Answers to questions are not required.)

I do think that this category is worthwhile and do-able. IMO anyone wanting to include a signless waymark would have enough pride in that garden to make the detailed discription work.

I am not as sure about what each State offers in Master Gardener programs. The one that I took was very general, not specific. They want to create a base of volunteers that can help out answering questions from gardeners. Whatever we need to learn extra we do on our own or through volunteer experience. I learned a bit more about xeriscape for a couple reasons. Our Master Gardener group started the xeriscape garden here in town. It's in one of our city parks and was planted and is maintained by the Master Gardeners as a demonstration garden. I also have studied it because I've used a lot of the elements in parts of my garden at home. I wanted something low maintanance. For instance, I have a pocket xeriscape garden at my front entrance, with some Russian Lavender, Yarrow, and various grasses. It is watered maybe once a month, whereas our veggie garden is watered around two or three times a week. This is a big difference in maintanance! My grasses are only half the size that they could grow to if they were watered regularly, but they work for us. One is supposed to reach 12 feet, but is only around 6 feet, for instance.

I'm not sure if a Master Gardener can "certify" a garden. They can give you pointers, and sometimes they can even come out to your yard and talk to you about it. Depends on your local volunteer group. There are also some good websites that you can google on xeriscape gardens.

Edited by Ambrosia

Xeriscape has been quite popular in this region (Phoenix, AZ) for many years, and has been actively promoted as a landscaping technique by the Salt River Project (SRP), our local water provider.

So most front yards in Phoenix (or most of Arizona, for that matter) could qualify as Xeriscape gardens.

That could become a consideration in your category proposal.

Maybe you want to consider Public Xeriscape Gardens.

Xeriscape has been quite popular in this region (Phoenix, AZ) for many years, and has been actively promoted as a landscaping technique by the Salt River Project (SRP), our local water provider.

So most front yards in Phoenix (or most of Arizona, for that matter) could qualify as Xeriscape gardens.

I don't want the category to denigrate into any spot that has a lavender plant or something. But I would like to include private gardens....take for instance some of the beautiful gardens that you can see when you go to Sante Fe. Big lush, with lots of color. Is this possible, and how would I word it?

I don't want the category to denigrate into any spot that has a lavender plant or something. But I would like to include private gardens....take for instance some of the beautiful gardens that you can see when you go to Sante Fe. Big lush, with lots of color. Is this possible, and how would I word it?

Hmmmm, there are a number of pleasing and likely Xeriscape gardens I can think of, as well.

But I think what you may be looking for is a category of Xeriscape Gardens that were specifically designed to highlight or promote Xeriscape techniques and the natural vegetation. Else, the category would be too broad.

So I'm inclined to go along with the earlier idea that the garden should be labeled a Xeriscape site, and the waymark submission guidelines should require a photo of the signage as well as the garden. That'll exclude a lot of nice gardens, that just aren't labeled as such, but oh, well. Waymarking doesn't really accomodate things like "a collection of pretty places."

Whatever the choice, the submission guidelines need to be very clear so all the officers will know what passes and what fails.

This looks great. Can I use a lot of your wording, or is this plagiarism? :huh:

Of course you can use any of my wording, as you see fit. ;)

With respect to the issue of broadening the category without opening it up to "any spot that has a lavender plant or something", how about adding a size requirement? Not length-by-width dimensions, just specify a requirement for some minimum number of total square feet for the garden to be considered. People would probably have to do some estimating as to the size, but it might help with the quality of the submissions.

Just a thought.

This is a lot of help, thanks. I think that I will emphasize the signs, but make an additional option with either extra proof from the garden creator/manager, or an explanation of why it is a xeriscape, with maybe the size requirement. We'll see how it goes, it can always be pared down to just signs if the other does not work out.