Wanting to buy GPS for 10 year old? Which one?

rxist2be

Hi there. I am looking to buy a GPS for my 10 year old son and I am wondering if anyone has any opinions on a good entry level unit? He would use it mainly for geocaching, but I would also like one that has map capabilities because we travel in a car a lot and it would give him something to do. Of course it also needs to be water resistant and rugged enough for some abuse. I am currently looking at either an eTrex Legend or Magellan Explorist 300. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS

I'd skip the eXplorist because it doesn't hook up to a PC. If you are interested in an eXplorist consider the 210 instead of the 300.

The Legend would be a good choice, but keep in mind with the eXplorist and Legend you will want to buy the mapping software which costs another $100 or so. The base maps don't have anything beyond major roads and highways.

For a kid, the Lowrance iFinder Go and iFinder Go2 might be good choices if a PC connection is not important to you. They are inexpensive (both are under $100) and they have basemaps.

I think the best unit for a young child is a Garmin Geko 201. Its compact (great for small hands), extremely easy to use and even has some built in GPS games. It has a screen that shows your position, tracks and your location relative to waypoints, but no actual maps.

Edited by briansnat

I think the best unit for a young child is a Garmin Geko 201. Its compact (great for small hands), extremely easy to use and even has some built in GPS games. It has a screen that shows your position, tracks and your location relative to waypoints, but no actual maps.

I'd go along with that. I would have suggested an Etrex Yellow, but if you buy used you may get one that doesn't support WAAS, and with the Geko you don't have to buy used to get a great price.

Here are, what i would consider the best choices in order.

1.) Garmin Gecko 201(tiny, durable, good reception and its LIME GREEN!) Approx $115

2.) Magellan eXplorist 100/200(small, durable great under cover reception) Approx $89/$119

3.) Garmin eTrex Yellow(small, durable, good reception, easy to find everywhere) Approx $99

4.) Lowrance iFinder Go/go2 (Tiny, durable, great under cover reception, half-decent basemap on the go2) Approx $79/$99

Edited by Fhantazm

Thanks for all the help. Sounds like I need to check out the geko. Can you enter the coordinates in the geko like other units?

Yes you can. If PC connectivity isn't important, you can find the Geko 101 for around $50. It was recently discontinued by Garmin so you might find it for even less as a closeout.

With the 201, you can enter the coordinates by hand or dowload them from your PC.

Geko's are good, durable units. They take a lot of abuse.

There will be an option to disable/enable waas in the settings.

How can I tell if my etrex yellow suppoprts WAAS?

Or you could check the version of the firmware. Having only used the yellow eTrex once, I don't know the specifics of how to do so. On most receivers, when you start them up a firmware version is displayed on the startup splash screen. The eTrex models with WAAS are v3.00 or higher.

Let me know how well those work, both GPS reception and radio operation. Im thinking about getting a pair and wondering how well they do. I'll still use my 60csx primarily for GC'ing but want a set of Rino's for other outdoor activity.

I purchased a couple of Rino 120 units. That way I can keep track of & talk with my son while out exploring.

Hi I am FlagFinder a 14 year old geocacher I started when I was 13 but I would like to recomend the explorist 210 its not commonly at shops but u can order it offline I got mine at REI during a big sale it came as a kit with mapping software this gps has a map and all your geocaching needs such as a usb port so u can change your map somthing the 300 doesn't have if u go on amazon you can see ratings and other opinions most r from cachers this gps is cheeper than the 300 I am on a trip now and I am currently using my gps For the purpose of the map and geocaching at stops now I have used only 1 garmin in my expieriance and they r a lil confusing to me but my teacher found out I was a cacher and lended me one or his my first gps was a 100 and I got tired of hand typing and having no map the 210 is a goodf product for your 10 year old in my opinion now as for possibly for an older cacher if they r wanting a cell phone to I would recomend a blackberry the object I'm typing this message on they help by saving paper and have almost everything a cacher needs even a gps these r a good buy if u don't want to purchase a lot of single objects. Well good luch on finding a gps I would love to hear your thoughts.