Mapsource & "Track Property" data

I have a question about Tracks and Track Property in Mapsource.

After I download data from my Garmin 60Csx, transfer it to Mapsource (v 6.10.2), when I double-click on "Active Log 001", "Active Log 002" etc. I get Points, Length, Area, Elapsed Time and Avg. Speed, but when I "Save" a Track (on the GPSr, in the field), the unit gives the track a name (the current date), and when I open that Track in Mapsource I don't get the Elapsed Time and Avg Speed. Is there a way to get that information? Why does it only show for the "Active Log"s?

Thanks

In Garmin units, the "saving " operation strips the time and speed info , apparently to conservememory space. It also limits your trackpoints to 500/saved track. 500per track X 20 tracks is where your 10,000 tp limit comes from

It's really not a big deal now that you know about it. If you need the time and speed info,use the active log ,if not,use the saved track. You can have it both ways since you can now also log the track to your m sd card.

It's really not a big deal now that you know about it. If you need the time and speed info,use the active log ,if not,use the saved track. You can have it both ways since you can now also log the track to your m sd card.

But what if I "Save" a Track, i.e., a portion of my complete track, while I'm in the field. Is there a way to retain the Time and Avg Speed? Or would I have to turn the unit off to save it as the Active Log? -- And is that indeed how it works? If I turn the unit off, it saves the Active Log, as 001, then starts Active Log 002 at next start-up, stopping it at shut-off, starting 003 next start-up, etc.?)

Thanks again.

See if this helps or confuses....

If you go to where you want to start logging a track, at that point clear the track log. When you start moving, zoom in and you will see a breadcrumb trail on your screen . At some point down the trail if you want to save that "first portion" ,l go to the tracks page and hit "save". It will ask you "entire log" or how far back in time you want to save to. In this case you would choose entire log.

The "saved track" is named by the date and date(2) for the second track that date etc. The time and speed is only stripped from the "saved track" and you still have the active log in your unit (duplicate info as saved track + time and speed)

As you continue down the track , you add data to the active log. (but not the stored "saved track") If you turn the unit off and then back on later ,then you will start a new "active log" but you will also still have the first active log in your unit.

To get the active log(s) out of your unit you have to go to the tracks page and "clear" ....entire log?> yes

When you do that it clears the active log(s) but NOT the saved tracks.

If you also log tracks to the Micro SD card it is the active track log that is being saved (with time and speed) in addition to being saved in internal memory but without limits on number of trackpoints (just controlled by available memory on card)

In Garmin units, the "saving " operation strips the time and speed info , apparently to conservememory space. It also limits your trackpoints to 500/saved track. 500per track X 20 tracks is where your 10,000 tp limit comes from

That's an interesting point. The 10,000 number is usually thought of as the maximum number of track points you can have in the active track log. I guess it can really apply to either.

Edited by Hertzog

Hertzog...

That interesting point is an interesting point itself.....and since I never thought of it before......I wonder if you can have 20 saved tracks w/500 points each and still have 10,000 trackpoints in the active log? (ignoring the "x" models with separate memory card)

Anyone ever do that little bit of trivia?

Hertzog...

That interesting point is an interesting point itself.....and since I never thought of it before......I wonder if you can have 20 saved tracks w/500 points each and still have 10,000 trackpoints in the active log? (ignoring the "x" models with separate memory card)

Anyone ever do that little bit of trivia?

Yes, that is how it works. 20 Saved tracks, plus your 10K ActiveLog trackpoints.