finding latitude/longitude?

arnieve4vu

In the US or not?

In the US - if you can get close by using a Zip code (like the nearest town), you can expand out the map you would get by plugging in the zip code's lat/lon here. Zoom out, then find the area and zoom in, and alternate between clicking on the target and the zoom buttons. Eventually, when you're all the way zoomed in, your "click" will result in a recentered image, with the coordinates displaying of where you clicked.

Another alternative is Google Earth. If you have a high speed connection, you can go ANYWHERE in the world and find 3-D type landscapes (don't forget to check out the tilt. Then - wherever you hover you mouse, the coordinates will show in the lower left hand corner.

086bdc9c-acb2-4ef2-b221-ba5e2158a234.jpg

This gives the coordinates for the entrance to Mt. Rushmore's viewing area as 43.875714°, -103.454370° or N 43° 52.543 W 103° 27.262

I've noticed that the Geocaching site sends you to maps on Mapquest that show the lat/long coordinates. What I want to know is if the reverse is possible on Mapquest (or some other site), i.e. CAN I ENTER AN ADDRESS AND GET THE COORDINATES FROM THAT?

I often go out of town (with work) and know the addresses of my hotel and other places I'll be, but it's difficult to narrow down nearby caches using this info. This is especially true in the more rural areas I visit, since the ZIP code can then cover a pretty large area.

Any ideas?

try google earth instead. The screen displays the coords for where the cross-hairs are over. Tell it to find your address, and it will move the cross-hairs over that location. From there, look at the coords, and you're set.

I have noticed that google earth was off on where my house was, it was 3-4 houses off. If I enter in the actual coords (from my GPS), it centers correctly. It seems that whoever drove the neighborhood and locked in coords for addresses was a bit off that day (there's a few companies that do this for mapping software).

Psalmseeker, the poor man's way, until you upgrade to premium member.

Type in the postal zip, search caches. At top of page, map it. At top of next page, get the google map. Find the location of your digs, and compare (you can play with this map). Caches are marked by balloons on the page. To get ID, click on cache name to the right, then look just above map. Now, look the cache up on another browser window.

Like I said, poor man's way. Lots of work!! Premium membership, item #1 on my list to Santa. #2 is the download cable for my Garmin Summit.