Garmin Repair Help

I own a Garmin unit which has been giving me problems for the past three weeks. The screen keep going blank on it. I've been using the idiot's method of repairing it (smacking it), and this has worked some of the time. I know I need to either send it in or find a place locally that does repairs. I am in the Portland, Oregon area and would like to have it repaired somewhere that is not going to take forever getting it back to me and is reasonably priced. The Garmin was a gift from a student of mine, I know it's about five years old, but was working great before. Any suggestions???

THANKS!!!

I own a Garmin unit which has been giving me problems for the past three weeks. The screen keep going blank on it. I've been using the idiot's method of repairing it (smacking it), and this has worked some of the time. I know I need to either send it in or find a place locally that does repairs. I am in the Portland, Oregon area and would like to have it repaired somewhere that is not going to take forever getting it back to me and is reasonably priced. The Garmin was a gift from a student of mine, I know it's about five years old, but was working great before. Any suggestions???

THANKS!!!

What model is it?

Maybe it's not worth repairing if it's 5 years old?

~CMT

Go to Garmin's Out-of_Warranty web site and you can see how much it costs to repair your unit under their flat fee repair program. For example, a plain eTrex is $59. In general, if you can fit all the broken pieces in a box and send them back, they'll fix it and give you one refurbished like-new, for about half the discount new price.

I did this once for my eTrex Vista after two years of very bad abuse on my mountain bike handlebars. All the cosmetic and wear issues were fixed (rubber worn off, sticky joystick, scratched screen), along with a bad connection causing power out as you discuss.

Edited by BigLarry

When you contact Garmin make sure that you let them know that you know that this is a common defect with the Vista line. In the past they have been known to fix the problem at no cost even if the unit is out of warranty. Just be sure to call them first. Also they have a very fast turnaround. I would expect the gps to be back in your hands in under a week.