Kern County Caching - Bakersfield

Hedge

Just testing the waters to see if there are cachers in the Bakersfield area who would like to stay in touch via this forum, email, or events - or all! Looking to beef up the Bakersfield area, maybe some communication will help.

Sign in below, or just sound off about whatever's on your mind - let's start a thread and see where it goes.

Hedge777

Hi Hedge,

Just checking in. I am new to the sport and am finding myself completely addicted. Would love to get something started here in Bakersfield. Let's see how many interested parties we get and go from there.

Healer

Just testing the waters to see if there are cachers in the Bakersfield area who would like to stay in touch via this forum, email, or events - or all! Looking to beef up the Bakersfield area, maybe some communication will help.

Sign in below, or just sound off about whatever's on your mind - let's start a thread and see where it goes.

Hedge777

Castleman emailed me about a Porterville event they're having at a coffee shop up there on the 19th. It's cache GCXHZH - Green Jeeps & Coffee In The Jungle . They're using it as an opportunity to distribute Green Jeeps and some new geocoins. I think I'll be in attendance, but it's not official (read: not cleared with my social secretary and loving wife).

<<event info - saving you a trip to the site>>

Welcome to the first Geocaching Event ever held in the Metropolis of Porterville. This event is a Coffee, Scone and Latte Event with a twist. There will be a number of “NEW” 2006 Green Jeep Travel Bugs to be given out to lucky raffle winners. Along with these Green Jeeps there will be a number of Geocoins…New and Unactivated. And then of course a few odds & ends that we get put together. There is no charge for this raffle.

The event times: Saturday August 19th from 9 A.M. to 11 A.M.

Come and join in on this give-a-way festival.

The physical address of this event (just in case your GPSr is not going to guide you is: 839 W. Henderson in Porterville.

Oh, and the Southern California Geoevent is SCG GeoFest 2006 - Sat, Sept 9th - cache GCX3BW.

Hedge777

Definately interested 2nocturnalRN's

Hey all, be forewarned that the Quadratic Weeds cache (GCN7HR - you know, the puzzle cache math problem that involves radians) is a shill for another of Sliderule's caches. Imagine my surprise when after finally solving the (beyond my puny mathematics skills) equation and driving 15 minutes out to the cache site, I discovered that this was a cache that I'd found 3 months ago under a different name. That's right, two cache listings, one physical cache. I felt completely ripped off. It's the same cache as his Novice - Garlic Cache (GCN94M). So, if you do the math and have bagged the other cache, give yourself a smiley - you've earned it.

I said as much in my found it log, but Sliderule deleted my log and asked me to "rewrite you log to eliminate the fact that the two caches are in fact, One and the same?"

I did rewrite the log, but wanted to warn you all so you don't go through what I did and feel what I felt.

Here's a recent log from BBB&BH#12:

>>Nice hunt while visiting for the Brewfest from Bend, OR. Took parafoil and butterfly TB. Left Bend Brewing Co. coaster. Thanks for the hunt!

An $18 Pouch kite and a TB for a disposable bar coaster. Nice trade!

Why not just shake the container til it's empty and leave a fart in it? Then you can log:

>>Nice hunt! The container was a little empty but I left it full! A real relief to find it.

It's little wonder that cache contents degrade over time with selfish cachers like this out there. Trade up people!

This is not just a local problem. I have cached in other cities and the same junky puff ball, used eraser, glitter sticker crap is everywhere. That said, when owners like you take care of their site it is a pleasure to find. I'd like to see a 5 star rating system used by cachers to rate sites they have logged. Qualities like content, location and uniqueness :) can be rated similar to the Difficulty/Terrain system now in use. This way a traveling cacher can stop wasting time looking for a cache next to a dumpster under a lamp post in a dank alley....sorry had to vent....instead they can enjoy finding a cache on a beautiful vista hidden in a creative container. I like quality not quantity....if the owners don't like a low score then don't put that crap out there just cuz'.

Don't get me wrong, a 'Theme' cache for kids is great and it's really not about the contents it's the hunt and the chance to see the 'unbeatten' path. I personally enjoy the puzzle theme....challenge my mind and then reward me with a great view, unique hide, hidden oasis rarely seen. Quality not Quantity for me at least. Owners who do it the right way can end up spending some serious cash $$ and cachers need to keep that in mind and truely TFTC

I gotta go now,...'Fruit Salad' has me baffled...how do some people find 200 or more sites in a day???? I find 6 to 10 and I'm tired :unsure:

Edited by RSQU

re: A Cache for "Travelin' Sam" ( GCM446 )

I have the above-mentioned cache in Bakersfield and have/had a local cacher keeping an eye out on it for me. He's not replied to my more recent e-mails lately and I'm wondering if someone can check on this cache for me.

The cache should be pretty easy to find. It's on the top of the bank and you just have to step into the tree a bit ( it's located beside a fallen log under some leaves, sticks, etc. ) - you do NOT have to trot all the way down to the riverside near the trunk ( which is where it had wandered to once, :D ).

The cache is actually a drive-to if you approach it from the Rosedale Hwy, via Mohawk St. ( I believe ) - you need to do a little dirt road driving but I was able to drive to it in a Ford Escape with no prob.

Anyway, if anyone has a minute and could check up on it for me, I'd be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

re: A Cache for "Travelin' Sam" ( GCM446 )

I have the above-mentioned cache in Bakersfield and have/had a local cacher keeping an eye out on it for me. He's not replied to my more recent e-mails lately and I'm wondering if someone can check on this cache for me.

The cache should be pretty easy to find. It's on the top of the bank and you just have to step into the tree a bit ( it's located beside a fallen log under some leaves, sticks, etc. ) - you do NOT have to trot all the way down to the riverside near the trunk ( which is where it had wandered to once, ;) ).

The cache is actually a drive-to if you approach it from the Rosedale Hwy, via Mohawk St. ( I believe ) - you need to do a little dirt road driving but I was able to drive to it in a Ford Escape with no prob.

Anyway, if anyone has a minute and could check up on it for me, I'd be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

I was planning on doing that cache anyway I can check it

Hi Every one. Wish I would of found out about this sport in when I was in Bakersfield. Up in modesto area now. I will be at your event in two weeks. See you all there Greg from Nascar Fam

well due to things out of our control we were not able tó make it.. hopefully people use this board. we have one in the central valley that is quite actve.. happy caching

Is it too late to say yes?

I kind of forgot about the forums until I got into it with a cacher in Wyoming. I am peeved that people don't wait at least 24 hours and try to contact the last person with a trackable before just grabbing it from you. It is like they don't realize that a travel bug hotel along a busy interstate might have more than just them stopping by that day. They also don't bother to check the trackable's history and notice that you just picked it up two days before or notice in the cache log that you were there that day before them!

Sorry, I am just irked. On my 8200 mile trip I e-mailed two people and reminded them about logging and one person replied within an hour and updated the trackable and the other person did the same in just short of 24 hours. How freaking hard is that to do? So when I send you an e-mail and I am not real nice to you for screwing up the trackables log because you couldn't wait, no kidding I am rude. So were you in the first place. Get a clue!

Ok, back to what I as doing.

Long live the Redneck Roadrace!

The only thing that I can think of is that some people might not realize how they work. They might also not print out logs or do the paperless thing. Or when they get there the see a bug and just take it and dont realize that it had not been loged yet. There are new Cachers all the time and might not know all the rules. I usually do what you do though and email them. Happy Caching.. Greg

Man I am kind of mad. I slowly accumulated a lot of trackables on my cross country trip and brought a lot home to California. I dropped them all off in "If ya lived in Taft..." hoping to kind of establish it as a bug hotel. 4 days later none of the 9 bugs I dropped off are left. One guy came through and took 4 without leaving any in trade and another guy took five without leaving any in trade. That pisses me off. I know they were meant to travel, but come on. Why in the hell does a guy with over 4000 finds need all five of the trackables left in my cache?

Am I wrong to be pissed off about this? Share the trackables a little. I never did such a thing on my trip.

Selfishness is the root and source of all natural and moral evils. - Nathaniel Emmons

Geocachers are people, and most people are focused only on what concerns them. Coins get stolen, TBs get forklifted, swag gets hoovered up, caches get replaced poorly or replaced when muggles are looking :) because even geocachers are thinking of themselves first. 80% are takers; let's hear it for the 20% who are givers and keep it all going!

... er, if only so the 80% can devour it all again. Such is life.