Paperless Caching

AG4RZ

Newb here, with a couple of questions:

1. Is there a way to grab all the data of of a cache's page without having to manually go to each page and d/l the PDF file? meaning, can I somehow download all the info for "nnn" caches that are returned when I do a search?

2. What is the bare minimum memory suggested for geocaching with a palm type device? I have no need for a palm other than for caching, so I will be looking at the used market...

3. If there is a way to grab all of a cache's data (not just the waypoints...I mean the description, everything..) can I use easygps or something similar to manage all the data? The reason I ask is my laptop is mounted in my vehicle, and if I can easily D/L and get to the data for a cache, then I wont need a Palm.

Its getting old having to manually D/L all the info on a cache, and I figure someone with a lot more experience than I at this neat game/hobby/pastime/sport/etc/etc has already figured this one out.

Any and all suggestions and help appreciated!!

Tim

AG4RZ

I was just going to post the links to the paperless threads but JC Geo beat me to it. The best article on paperless caching I've found is by the Florida Geocachers Club.

I have been paperless caching for about 7 months now and absolutely love it. I use Cachemate on my Palm and GSAK on my desktop computer. GSAK was a little complicated at first, but I absolutely love it. It gets all the needed info organized and I can export EVERYTHING I need to my Palm & GPS all from that program (descriptions, instructions, hints, past logs, etc.). Everything pretty much on the cache page except the maps.

Good Luck.

I picked up a Palm IIIxe (a couple of them, one for backup) and so far I've got close to 700 cache pages stored on it. Haven't run out of memory yet. It's simple to use and I picked it up off EBay for under $25 including shipping. Pretty darn cheap! Just make sure you get a Hotsync cradle with it if you get one.

Edited by Lizzy

Hey there AG, a buddy (fellow-cacher) uses the GSAK from one of the Swiss Army websites and absolutely loves it. I on the other hand, prefer something more tangible and stick to paper. Call me old-fashioned! I personally am not too familiar with the GSAK but I do believe it's a one time purchase for somewhere around 30 bucks and I think it'll suit you just fine. :laughing:

Newb here, with a couple of questions:

1. Is there a way to grab all the data of of a cache's page without having to manually go to each page and d/l the PDF file? meaning, can I somehow download all the info for "nnn" caches that are returned when I do a search?

2. What is the bare minimum memory suggested for geocaching with a palm type device? I have no need for a palm other than for caching, so I will be looking at the used market...

3. If there is a way to grab all of a cache's data (not just the waypoints...I mean the description, everything..) can I use easygps or something similar to manage all the data? The reason I ask is my laptop is mounted in my vehicle, and if I can easily D/L and get to the data for a cache, then I wont need a Palm.

Its getting old having to manually D/L all the info on a cache, and I figure someone with a lot more experience than I at this neat game/hobby/pastime/sport/etc/etc has already figured this one out.

Any and all suggestions and help appreciated!!

Tim

AG4RZ

Thanks for the hints gang....looks like I have all the info I need now...With GSAK installed on the laptop in the truck, and a couple of smart pocket queries..I am all set. Now I just look at a querie in GSAK, if thats what I want to do, then I start Delorme, find my way to the general area with the in car system, load the coordinates in the handheld, and poof! I am on the hunt!!!

Thanks!!!

Tim

AG4RZ