Garmin 12..

Does anyone know the correct navagational settings for a garmin 12.I live in christchurch

,New Zealand.I am looking for the position format.....the map datum..CDI...Heading...settings..If any one can help with this or point me in the right direction that would be great.... cheers Bo

My friend has one, so I have used the unit, but I haven't used it enough to explain it well, so bear with me.

Press the page key until you find a screen with all text, an options page. Use the pan key to select a settings menu and hit enter. Everything should be in there, it's just a matter of selecting and changing the options.

Post back with specific details and I might remember some more.

Generally you would use the same setting as most other people here. The position format is Degrees, Minutes, decimal minutes (hddd mm.mmm). Map datum would be WGS84.

Hi there,,,these are the settings that I had set up on the gps but when i put in new coordinates it didnt take me to the exact spot about fifty or so metres out,, i have since been told that these settings are for new zealand marine maps,,, so it has all puzzled me....cheers Bo

The Garmin 12 is a great unit. It is extreme durable and accurate. One of its few limitations is that when navigating, it only counts down to within .01 miles of the waypoint (about 53 feet). That was probably okay in the days of Selective Availability with the 12 was designed, but not so welcomed now.

I started with a 12. When I got to within 50 feet or so, I switched to the satellite page and walked around until the coordinates on the unit matched those of the cache. Then I would be within 20-30 feet of ground zero, just as with any other consumer GPS unit.

I used to have a Garmin 12, and actually found a couple caches in New Zealand with it! Use WGS 84 for caching, but if you are correlating to NZ maps, I believe there is a datum specific to New Zealand. Unfortunately I don't recall what it is, but Joe Mehaffey might, at GPSinformation.net. Its a very useful site, and contains this link to NZ mapping datums: http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/paulcatc/p2.htm

I hope this is helpful.

Generally you would use the same setting as most other people here. The position format is Degrees, Minutes, decimal minutes (hddd mm.mmm). Map datum would be WGS84.

Hi there,,,these are the settings that I had set up on the gps but when i put in new coordinates it didnt take me to the exact spot about fifty or so metres out,, i have since been told that these settings are for new zealand marine maps,,, so it has all puzzled me....cheers Bo

You always need to match the datum of whatever map you are using, so if you are using an NZ datum map you must set the GPS to that datum before pluging in the maps coordinates. Most all maps will reference what datum they use somewhere on the map. WGS 84 is a global datum and the newest in use, so generally that is what is used at other times. For the correct datum you can select the datum (hit enter when it is highlighted on the 12) from a large list of choices in the 12. You see it. It is New Zealand something or other.

You always need to match the datum of whatever map you are using, so if you are using an NZ datum map you must set the GPS to that datum before pluging in the maps coordinates. Most all maps will reference what datum they use somewhere on the map. WGS 84 is a global datum and the newest in use, so generally that is what is used at other times. For the correct datum you can select the datum (hit enter when it is highlighted on the 12) from a large list of choices in the 12. You see it. It is New Zealand something or other.