What Gps To Buy?

jonmic

I just recently discovered Geocaching and I am eager to start particpating in the search for caches. I am wondering which GPS unit is the best to purchase? I am currently a college student who has little money so please keep the recommended GPS units on the cheaper side. While I am looking for cheap, I also understand that some money will be necessary to avoid poorly built GPS units that are known to give problems to fellow Geocachers. Therefore, I would greatly appreciate any advice on cheap GPS units that have some degree of quality built into the unit. Thanks for all of your responses and recommendations in advance.

Thanks Again,

jonmic

I just got a refurbed Magellan Gold off Ebay for $120...

Before you buy, SHOP AROUND!!! Get to know all the different features and decide what you will need the most...take at least a week comparing all the different GPS units, then make a decision on WHAT WORKS FOR YOU...

Things you will want:

Expandable memory

Ability to download waypoints

Everything else is just icing on the cake, like color screen, magnetic-based compass, barometric ability...

Do your research before jumping in!

How cheap is cheap? You can get a Garmin Geko 101 for around $50 and its a quality unit. It will find you a cache as well as a $400 unit, but its missing many of the features of more expensive units.

More money gets you more features, not necessarily a better unit. You have to decide what features are important to you and make your decision based on that.

Some features that are available that you may or may not want:

Mapping

Autorouting

Turn by turn driving directions

Magnetic compass

Barometric altimeter

Expandible memory

Compact or large size

AA batterys or proprietary re-chargable

Computer connectivity

USB computer connection

Color displays