July Statistics

holograph

Ah, I have dropped to third in the NGS ranking, replaced by PFF. It was only a matter of time. And I still have a trip from mid-June to enter that would have kept me in 2nd. Congrats PFF. Chances are I won't catch you now that you have passed me. Certainly not until the poison ivy dies off for the winter--there is just too much vegetation around here this year.

This report is one of the high points of the month for me - right up there with my paycheck! Thanks, holograph!

I contemplate the map and try to dream up reasons why I need to visit those empty spaces (other than the hunt, so work or the wife will pay for my travel)... *sigh* Alaska's got plenty of 'open space' but there's other places to visit as well - a few islands in Hawaii, as well as central Michigan around my dad's place. Hmmm... a benchmark vacation looks in order here...

Here's the comparison of the top ten organizations in the July updates. Note that because Deb posted a large backlog in July, not all of these recoveries were actually July recoveries, some were from the prior months backlog.

GEOCAC..1116.....GEOCACHING

USPSQD...882.....US POWER SQUADRON

INDIV....225.....INDIVIDUAL CONTRIBUTORS

NYDT.....187.....NY DEPT OF TRANSP

NGS......171.....NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY

MNDT.....141.....MN DEPT OF TRANSP

FLDEP....114.....FL DEPT OF ENV PRO

SCGS......99.....SOUTH CAROLINA GEODETIC SURVEY

WOOLPT....78.....WOOLPERT CONSULTANTS

HIDT......50.....HAWAII DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

Woohoo!

I've noticed Woolpert disks in a number of guises in the Ohio/Kentucky area, but also elsewhere. They must be one of the larger surveying companies (40 survey crews and 60 surveyors). Here's their website.

Here's an interesting question that I think addresses something people have discussed here in the group: What's the average time since the last recovery for each of these agencies' recoveries?

Also, the North Carolina Geodetic Survey seems to be missing from this list...I wonder why they're not sending in recoveries.

Edited by BuckBrooke

The list contains about 100 agencies. I only listed the top ten. NCGS came in 14th place with 41 recoveries.

The average time since the last recovery for the agencies I listed was ... less than one month, since they showed up in the July updates.

Edited by holograph

holograph,

I wasn't sure I phrased the question right when I posted it. People have commented here that some agencies will post a recovery less than a year from the last one. I know that some folks here like to go after very old marks that haven't been recovered for a while. I'll go after any mark, and won't log a recovery if they've been recovered in the last few years and there's no change to the situation of the mark.

Thus, my question was/is: What is the average for each agency (of all the the marks they've logged in the last month) of the time between the current log to the last log for that mark. I would be interested to see what our average time since last recovery is compared to Woolpert or one of the state agencies, who presumably go after different sorts of marks.

holograph,

I wasn't sure I phrased the question right when I posted it. People have commented here that some agencies will post a recovery less than a year from the last one. I know that some folks here like to go after very old marks that haven't been recovered for a while. I'll go after any mark, and won't log a recovery if they've been recovered in the last few years and there's no change to the situation of the mark.

I usually only log stuff if it hasn't been logged in the last 5 years on NGS. I'll always update it on GC, however. Now, sicne the beginning, I logged ONE as 'Geocaching', ALL the other's I did as Local Engineer - I had completely forgotten that Geocaching had their own! Seeing this report reminded me. Too bad I cant go back and update them all. :sad:

Me.

Buckbrooke,

OK, that question makes sense now.

Number of years between the agency's report and the prior report (by any agency):

GEOCAC... min=1 max=121 mean=26

USPSQD... min=1 max=84 mean=12

INDIV.... min=1 max=72 mean=25

NYDT..... min=1 max=71 mean=24

NGS...... min=1 max=65 mean=14

MNDT..... min=1 max=56 mean=9

FLDEP.... min=1 max=69 mean=11

SCGS..... min=1 max=72 mean=15

WOOLPT... min=1 max=22 mean=5

HIDT..... min=24 max=43 mean=36

Holograph:

You are amazing!!! No matter what we ask for, you come up with the statistic!

My recovery numbers were down for July, due to a distraction. We brought a new Waymarking category, Train Depots, on line and it is off to a good start. I've used benchmark descriptions to pinpoint the original locations of some of the relocated structures.

I posted more than a dozen train depots, plus another 60 waymarks in 45 days. But now it's back to benchmarks. I'm eager to get the new metal detector back in service. :)

-Paul-