[60csx]what Is The Diffrence Between Routes And Tracks

I am wondering what will work the best for my needs. I want to use a way to get from point A to point B on a self made trail to a distance of 1/2 to 3/4 miles walking. I will need to be able to walk the same path in the dark turn for turn to the waypoint. I am thinking the tracks are more for what I am looking for versus the routes which looks to be more for street purposes. Can you clarify this for me. It is for deer hunting getting from the truck to my tree in the woods. I will also have to have the track/route be bidirectional for in and out in the dark. If you need more info please ask.

Thanks Jeff

Also if I save these tracks/Routes can they be later used when I purchase the Mapsource US topo software???

Edited by Zingnut

I would definitley get the mapsource software with Topo maps for what you are trying to do. Then go to the begining of your trail and reset the track log. Walk the path you want to follow in and out. Then you can upload the track log to Mapsource Topo and see the exact path you took on the map. From there you can convert it to a route and add any specific waypoints you want for key turns or landmarks along the way. Once saved, you will then have that route stored on your PC and can download it for use on your GPS anytime you want.

The only reason I said to record the track in and out was so you can see if they direclty overlay each other for accuracy purposes when building your route on the PC. You really only need a one way route and then you can navigate that in either direction.

Edited by bgarland

I am wondering what will work the best for my needs. I want to use a way to get from point A to point B on a self made trail to a distance of 1/2 to 3/4 miles walking. I will need to be able to walk the same path in the dark turn for turn to the waypoint. I am thinking the tracks are more for what I am looking for versus the routes which looks to be more for street purposes. Can you clarify this for me. It is for deer hunting getting from the truck to my tree in the woods. I will also have to have the track/route be bidirectional for in and out in the dark. If you need more info please ask.

Thanks Jeff

Also if I save these tracks/Routes can they be later used when I purchase the Mapsource US topo software???

Tracks are what you would want to use. You can create a track containing 250 waypoints in MapSource, or record a tracklog while hiking your trail with as dense a waypoint spacing as you want, up to 250 points. When in the field you can "invert" the track to lead you in/out as stated.