Be Honest

No one should be offended by the facts (at least when it comes to caches.) If you post that the cache is not in a scenic or historically interesting place that is a simple fact and you should be OK. The cache owner is always welcome to post a note after my log saying he thinks I am wrong and why.

I don't want to have to read between the lines. I went to one cache where a finder mentioned to watch out for the "trucker bombs." Not knowing what he meant I went there. The trucker bombs were jugs filled with urine that truck drivers had thrown out. There were many of them. What a bad cache with a view of sleeping truckers and the highway.

I don't think it is good to post negative logs but there is a difference between negative and factual. Posting truthful logs implies the truth as you see it. Posting factual logs are a simple statement of facts and should offend no one.

How about hiders who try the sell their cache but saying things like "just up the trail from the cache is the highest point in the county." The truth on this cache was it was hidden along side the road. The trail was behind a locked gate on posted land. The inference was you could walk up there and see a view when in truth this was nothing more than an uninspired Tupperware container under a log 5 feet from the side of the road.

I am grateful for the hiders but without accurate feedback how can they improve?

As a geo-newbie, I have to say that I thought the whole idea of the logs was to provide the cache placer with thanks and thoughts about what I as the seeker thought about the cache, if I liked the view, enjoyed the walk or whatever.

I obviously don't know nearly everything about the sport yet, but one thing I've picked up on is that micros are supposed to be saved for when there's not really room for anything else. So, in the log for one cache I found that was a micro, but there was plenty of room for a larger cache, I said that in the log. I don't think I said it rudely but who knows how someone else may construe it.

I am sure that this debate just goes 'round and 'round and 'round, but I would think that *most* people who enjoy geocaching wouldn't mind a little feedback about what the seekers really think about their caches. I know that if I placed a cache, I'd LOVE to hear of ways to improve it to make it more enjoyable for everyone.

Long story short, it's possible to be honest without being a jerk.

Edited by parker313