Gps Use Laws In California

Are there any new laws in California limiting the use of GPSr's in cars? A newbie told me it was illegal to use the window mounts for GPSr while driving in CA. Sounds a little crazy (considering the fuzzy dice I've seen in cars)! Can anyone enlighten me (or help me enlighten my friend)?

I've heard about that too but cant remember what state it was. I wouldn't surprise me for CA though. I'm surprised they havent'j closed the beaches as to keep us from hurting ourselves by exposing ourselves to the sun.

Are there any new laws in California limiting the use of GPSr's in cars? A newbie told me it was illegal to use the window mounts for GPSr while driving in CA. Sounds a little crazy (considering the fuzzy dice I've seen in cars)! Can anyone enlighten me (or help me enlighten my friend)?

This was covered in another thread earlier this year or last; don't remember.

Here is the CA vehicle code, emphasis added:

26708(a)

(1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows. [this section applies to suction cup GPS holders.]

(2) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon the vehicle which obstructs or reduces the driver's clear view through the windshield or side windows. [This section applies to bean bag/adhesive GPS holders]

Subsection (b )(3) lists the corresponding exceptions, emphasis added:

Signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver; signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the rear window farthest removed from the driver; or signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 5-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest the driver.

You can read the full section here.

Essentially, you're OK as long as your vision is not obstructed much. In many vehicles, the hood line goes across the bottom of the windshield a few inches. This would be a good place to put the GPS.

California Department of Motor Vehicles Drivers Handbook only states “Do not block your view by putting signs or other objects on the front windshield or the back and side windows. Do not hang objects on the mirror. Windshield/window stickers, etc., are permitted in these locations only:

- A seven-inch square on either the passenger’s side windshield, lower corner; or the rear window, lower corner.

- A five-inch square on the driver’s side, lower corner.

- Side windows behind the driver.”

However, it also states “Do not drive a vehicle equipped with a video monitor if the monitor is visible to the driver and displays anything other than vehicle information or global mapping displays.”

So there you go, it is how you differentiate statements made in the divers handbook.

:D Isn't California just GREAT!!! :D

California Department of Motor Vehicles Drivers Handbook only states “Do not block your view by putting signs or other objects on the front windshield or the back and side windows. Do not hang objects on the mirror. Windshield/window stickers, etc., are permitted in these locations only:

- A seven-inch square on either the passenger’s side windshield, lower corner; or the rear window, lower corner.

- A five-inch square on the driver’s side, lower corner.

- Side windows behind the driver.”

However, it also states “Do not drive a vehicle equipped with a video monitor if the monitor is visible to the driver and displays anything other than vehicle information or global mapping displays.”

So there you go, it is how you differentiate statements made in the divers handbook.

:D Isn't California just GREAT!!! :)

So you can have a GPS as long as it isn't mounted somewhere that could block your view. Makes sense to me.

As a practical matter, the CA police never bothered me with my Quest on the windshield, nor my friend with a StreetPilot on the dash. I've ridden right by them and had them stop next to me at lights.

But I put the small Quest in the middle of the windshield, down near the bottom so it mostly just blocks my view of the hood on my Mercury Sable. It's so far forward, I need to undo the seatbelt to place it, and can barely hit the button leaning forward. It's perfect for seeing without moving my eyes from the road, almost like a heads up display. I mostly use the voice though, and occasionally glance at the screen to see where I'm supposed to turn.

But the laws are pretty clear as stated above. I could be properly be given a ticket under the CA law. It probably helps that my Quest is not much more than 7", and out of the way, even if it's not in the corner of the windshield.

I think it also makes practical sense to not have it block your view, or put too much attention on it. None of us would want a trajedy to happen because of visibility or distraction, from the GPS or other things like cell phones. Having the GPS blocking visibility in an accident would be a clear lawsuit win, I'd think.

Edited by BigLarry

I live in California. I was behind a car yesterday that had over a third of the rear window completely blocked by a large Raider's logo. I've seen people with all kinds of Baby on Board and other signs on their windows. I've seen tons of different things hanging from rear view mirrors. I'm not worried about my window mount. I have a suction mount and it is stuck on the lower left side of my windshield as far to the left and as low as possible. I've had local cops and CHP next to me in traffic and they don't give it a second glance. I really wouldn't worry about it.