Gsak Location Icons

I am trying to set up my GSAK software. I have entered several residences as waypoints, family homes, etc. and want to use the house icon in the type field. But GSAK lists only about a dozen of different types, all having to do with different types of caches. How do I set up other icons, i.e. house, park, airport, etc.? There does appear to a way to do it, and I have fiddled around with it but with no luck.

Edited by Treasure*Hunters
I am trying to set up my GSAK software. I have entered several residences as waypoints, family homes, etc. and want to use the house icon in the type field. But GSAK lists only about a dozen of different types, all having to do with different types of caches. How do I set up other icons, i.e. house, park, airport, etc.? There does appear to a way to do it, and I have fiddled around with it but with no luck.

Well, it depends...

If you mean the icons which are used in GSAK itself, you probably have to stick with them. GSAK is for Geocaching - so the author of GSAK is using just those icons. If you need to change the icons within GSAK, in my opinion you can only request this for a future version of GSAK and the author will have to decide if he will include that functionality.

However if you mean the icons in your GPS receiver, it depends on the model you are using. Just have a look at the GSAK help file and search for custom icons which can be used by creating an textfile with your configuration. Depending on the device the file will have to be named "GarminOther.txt" or "MagellanOther.txt". If you have a Garmin, want to use custom icons for it and don't know how to do it, just let me know. I did setup my Garmin configuration, my etrex device and when I now look at the map at my etrex it shows every cache with the correct type icon. Also all other kinds of icons are possible if they are supported and installed by/at the device.

Cheers

Andre

Edited by _gOldie_

Treasure*Hunters,

The way I'm reading your post, you want to change the "cache container" icon to a house for addresses in a GSAK database. If that is what you want - you can't! BUT, why not just have a database for addresses? Remove the cache container column and if you must - Enter the words "Residence" in the User Data field for each address.

Set your geocaches up in a different database. GSAK lets you have many DBs. You can also save what your database columns are and recall them in "views" window; you can make a different one for each database you can think of.

The F1 key will bring up the manual!

I have a few non-geocaching waypoints scattered in my GSAK database, for ease of transfer into my GPSr along with the caches. Although I use custom icons in my GPSr (Legend C), I just set the non-cache waypoints to be a benchmark, which is translated by the GPSr to be an orange navaid icon.