Explorist 500. How Accurate Is The Altimeter?

I don't know the type in this unit. Just wondering if I should trust its readings?

Thanks.

The Explorist 500 doesn't have an altimeter, so any altitude readings you are seeing are coming from the mapping product installed. the Explorist 300, 600 and XL have barometric altimeters integrated in them. Typically barometric altimeters are not very accurate, but I've never used one in conjunction with a 3D mapping product like Mapsend Topo 3D, so I really can't comment on the accuracy.

I don't know the type in this unit. Just wondering if I should trust its readings?

Thanks.

The Explorist 500 doesn't have an altimeter, so any altitude readings you are seeing are coming from the mapping product installed. the Explorist 300, 600 and XL have barometric altimeters integrated in them. Typically barometric altimeters are not very accurate, but I've never used one in conjunction with a 3D mapping product like Mapsend Topo 3D, so I really can't comment on the accuracy.

Are you talking about the Mapsend Directroute product I have installed, or the basemap? It showed altitude readings even when I didn't have Mapsend installed, so I guess its the basemap that gives me these readings? So basically don't trust them.

Actually I think the 500 derives its altitude readout from GPS signal--you can get a value even with no detail map data installed. As to whether that's accurate enough, it depends on your needs. It works fine for me (I'd guess it's within 50-100 feet; sometimes better depending on the number and position of sats in the sky), but I always regard it as an estimate.

Due to the geometry involved, the altitude estimate will always be less precise than the position estimate.

Yikes, tell that to the zillions of pilots that use barometric altimeters daily. A barometric altimeter is the most accurate "short term". It will change as a result of local pressure changes and so needs to be recalibrated often. That said, If I needed the MOST accurate elevation inforamtion from a track on my gps I would definitly only trust the barometric altimeter as long as I calibrated before the run/hike/bike ride.

GPS altimeter indications are notoriously less accurate than the GPS horizontal accuracy.

Typically barometric altimeters are not very accurate, but I've never used one in conjunction with a 3D mapping product like Mapsend Topo 3D, so I really can't comment on the accuracy.

As embra says, the elevation on the 500 is calculated by the satellites received. I have tested the elevation on my 500 and have found it very accurate. I have compared the calculated elevation to benchmarks, the Topo 3d map installed, and Natl Geo Topo program on my PC. When in the open and receiving 7 or more sats, the calculated elevation is always within 50 feet, often within 20 feet and regularly within 10 feet. When the "accuracy" is under 20 ft, you can have high confidence in the stated elevation.

As embra says, the elevation on the 500 is calculated by the satellites received. I have tested the elevation on my 500 and have found it very accurate. I have compared the calculated elevation to benchmarks, the Topo 3d map installed, and Natl Geo Topo program on my PC. When in the open and receiving 7 or more sats, the calculated elevation is always within 50 feet, often within 20 feet and regularly within 10 feet. When the "accuracy" is under 20 ft, you can have high confidence in the stated elevation.

Thanks, that is what I needed to know.