Garmin Car Charger/cradle

I've got a Garmin car charger and cradle unit that I want to hard wire into my electrical instead of using the plug. I want to make sure I get the polarity right on this, so I'm looking for a diagram or listing of the utility port. I'm sure on the auto hookup it's only using two leads, but I want to get this right on the first try.

Any ideas?

Additional note: Does it matter if the + and - are reversed on not anyway?

Edited by Sac D

One thing I find very handy to have around the house is a handheld multimeter. These can tell you voltage for AC and DC and can be set for resistance as well. They can be had for about 15 bucks but I would spend about 50 or more. Anyway, you can use the resistance mode to find what wires are connected to what. In that way you can see how your exsisting Garmin cable is made (instead of relying on a drawing which sometimes may be wrong).

If you need to know the pinouts of yoru garmin then check out this page:

http://www.pfranc.com/

If you need to know which wire is positive in your vehical then you need the multimeter (but its always the cneter pin on all modern cars).

I've got a Garmin car charger and cradle unit that I want to hard wire into my electrical instead of using the plug. I want to make sure I get the polarity right on this, so I'm looking for a diagram or listing of the utility port. I'm sure on the auto hookup it's only using two leads, but I want to get this right on the first try.

Any ideas?

Additional note: Does it matter if the + and - are reversed on not anyway?

Edited by kb9nvh

One thing I find very handy to have around the house is a handheld multimeter. These can tell you voltage for AC and DC and can be set for resistance as well. They can be had for about 15 bucks but I would spend about 50 or more. Anyway, you can use the resistance mode to find what wires are connected to what. In that way you can see how your exsisting Garmin cable is made (instead of relying on a drawing which sometimes may be wrong).

If you need to know the pinouts of yoru garmin then check out this page:

http://www.pfranc.com/

If you need to know which wire is positive in your vehical then you need the multimeter (but its always the cneter pin on all modern cars).

Thanks for the input. I had found pfranc's web site (lots of great info in there!) but I know I cant get a reading off the plug with my meter cuz it's a tiny 20-pin affair that goes into the bottom of the M3. I also have found out that polarity DOES matter, so if I just guess and go for it... there's a 50/50 chance that everything will be fine. Or 50/50 that the M3 gets fried. hehe

I guess what I am hoping for is that someone else has cut one of these open and knows that the center wire is copper colored and the outer wire is silver colored or vice versa. That would be nice.