Gps Vs. Gps Navigation System

Is a GPS receiver like I see mentioned at this site for Geocaching use & a GPS navigation unit (like Street Pilot or Tom Tom) for giving turn by turn directions, the same thing? Do these 2 items work the same way? Will a GPS unit give directions? Can I use a navigation system for Geocaching?

I am a newbie & just trying to learn about GPS units.

Thanks...

Patricia

Is a GPS receiver like I see mentioned at this site for Geocaching use & a GPS navigation unit (like Street Pilot or Tom Tom) for giving turn by turn directions, the same thing? Do these 2 items work the same way? Will a GPS unit give directions? Can I use a navigation system for Geocaching?

I am a newbie & just trying to learn about GPS units.

Thanks...

Patricia

GPS (Global Positioning System) is the "System". The hardware you hold in your hand or mount in your car is a Receiver, it receives the System's signals. Software is the code that makes the signal useful to you (it tells you where you are or how to get to where you want to go, or even where you've been.

What follows is about 10,000 details that must be absorbed through study and experience.

Essentially they are the same in that both receive satellites and give you a position reading, but the latter takes advantage of this more, providing a map of your position and being able to use it to direct you to where you want to go.

Interestingly enough, most "navigation system" lack features that are good for geocaching. For example, you can usually only have it direct you to a point on the road instead of a random spot in the woods. Consequently, most handhelds designed for the latter lack decent road navigation abilities, even ones that come with street maps.

Now you can close this before you get a million random replies on this topic. :laughing:

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

Essentially they are the same in that both receive satellites and give you a position reading, but the latter takes advantage of this more, providing a map of your position and being able to use it to direct you to where you want to go.

Interestingly enough, most "navigation system" lack features that are good for geocaching. For example, you can usually only have it direct you to a point on the road instead of a random spot in the woods. Consequently, most handhelds designed for the latter lack decent road navigation abilities, even ones that come with street maps.

Now you can close this before you get a million random replies on this topic. :laughing:

Ok, so I should look for "just a hand held GPS unit"..not a navigator correct?

Patricia

Ok, so I should look for "just a hand held GPS unit"..not a navigator correct?

Patricia

Well, it depends. You can use a good handheld for road naviagation. My 60cs does a really good job of getting me "there and back again." It just does not have voice prompts or a handy touch screen like the dedicated navigation units. In contrast, the plain yellow etrex does not even have the ability to load maps.

The signals that each use are the same. The difference is the features that turn those signals into something usable for you. You have to decide if those features are worth the extra money that they cost.

If you want a unit just for geocaching, then a way to interface with the computer is really about all that is needed.

However, if you want it for other purposes, you might also consider the following(in no particular order):

1. The ability to load maps--that way you can see where you are in the world.

2. expandable memory--you can load all the maps you need and forget it.

3. Color screen--makes it easier to distinguish between features.

4. Autorouting--gives turn-by-turn directions to a given point.

5. Electronic compass--points to where you are going whether you are receiving GPS signals or not.

I bought my 60cs with the idea that I would use it for camping and hiking. Now it hangs out all the time on my windshield mount and tells me how to get to where I need to go. If I did not have some of the added features, it would not be useful to me as a dual purpose unit.

However, if you want it for other purposes, you might also consider the following(in no particular order):

1. The ability to load maps--that way you can see where you are in the world.

2. expandable memory--you can load all the maps you need and forget it.

3. Color screen--makes it easier to distinguish between features.

4. Autorouting--gives turn-by-turn directions to a given point.

5. Electronic compass--points to where you are going whether you are receiving GPS signals or not.

Thank you for the info. I bought a Garmin eTrex Legend tonight at our local REI. They have a 100% refund policy, so I felt comfortable starting with this one. ($150.00)

The features mentioned above are certainly something I would like to have. Especially autorouting. The electronic compass could probably come in handy, although I live in a non-wooded area. I believe I can load maps on the legend. Expandable memory maybe (but I don't really travel a lot..long distance anyway). A color screen would be helpful too, I am sure.

So, I assume that any GPSr with the above mentioned feature would be those that are in the $400-$500 range, correct? Anyone know what the best deal might be on such a model?

Again, THANK YOU so much for your help. Now I am about to open the box on the legend & see if I can figure out how to turn it on!! :-)

Patricia

Edited by Lovin'Life

If you want the auto-routing for when you are driving, and you own a laptop, then you can purchase one of the inexpensive auto navigation programs like DeLorme's Street Atlas USA (which, if past history repeats, the 2007 version is due sometime in August) or Microsoft's Streets & Trips. Another option is Garmin's City Navigator North America v8, which while more expensive, haps maps that you can also upload into your GPSr. With Garmin's City Navigator, you will have to download Garmin's nRoute application from their website, as the included MapSource program does not provide the auto navigation features such as voice alerts, etc. (I believe nRoute only works with USB-based GPSr connections, and I am not familiar with Garmin's entire line so I am not 100% sure if your unit is USB and would support nRoute -- can anyone else confirm/deny this?) You may also need to purchase a cable to connect the GPSr to your computer if it didn't come with one, but the cables are cheap.

Using your existing laptop by connecting the GPSr you purchased to it for car navigation will be much cheaper than any of the units that come with built-in routing capabilities. And to this day, I find the laptop based routing programs (even the inexpensive ones) to be much more powerful and flexible than using the GPSr for routing. Plus, you can load the entire USA onto your laptop, something you cannot do with ANY Garmin GPRr at this time (City Navigator North America requires over 1.5gig, while the largest microSD cards available at this time are only 1gig).

Also, if you go with a laptop solution, it helps to purchase a power adapter for your laptop that connects to a cigarette lighter in your car. That way the laptop doesn't run out of power during the trip, or try to go to sleep all the time. The power adapters are also inexpensive, around $20 or so.

FWIW, I've been a long time user of DeLorme's Street Atlas program for my road routing needs.

Thank you for the info. I bought a Garmin eTrex Legend tonight at our local REI. They have a 100% refund policy, so I felt comfortable starting with this one. ($150.00)

Patricia en joy your new Legend,I'll be wacthing for that first cache find :laughing:

Terry IL.

Patricia en joy your new Legend,I'll be wacthing for that first cache find :laughing:

Terry IL.

Thanks! My son & I plan to go out today (as soon as I get off work in fact at 9AM PST!!) No sleep for me today.. LOLOL

I do see that I need more hand holding with the 'how to use GPSr' part of this hobby. I will make a seperate post for that as it is a change of subject...and I need help ASAP!

Patricia & now Brandon too!