Geocaching And Letterboxing

dave09

These are both such fantastic forms of 'treasure hunting', and they show many similarities, so why don't we combine them into the one webpage? I believe this will create a much more accessible way for most people to find and get involved in both sports. When you think about it, letterboxing is pretty similar to geocaching anyway, and, in fact, geoaches often have clues in the same sort of format as the letterboxes, the only difference being the lack of stamp and the need for a GPS at some point.

By combining the webpages, a sort of "Ultimate Treasure Hunting" page could be formed, for those who like both codes. And there's no telling to the combinations of letterboxing and geocaching hunts that will result, doubling the excitement and adventure.

Please reply to this if you have any suggestions.

dave09

I suggest they should be separate. While there are some similarities on the surface, the participants general hold differing philosophies and they don't mix well.

Psst! That's not to mention it was tried before with disastrous results. I'll let you ask for the details over on the LB forums.

These are both such fantastic forms of 'treasure hunting', and they show many similarities, so why don't we combine them into the one webpage? I believe this will create a much more accessible way for most people to find and get involved in both sports. When you think about it, letterboxing is pretty similar to geocaching anyway, and, in fact, geoaches often have clues in the same sort of format as the letterboxes, the only difference being the lack of stamp and the need for a GPS at some point.

By combining the webpages, a sort of "Ultimate Treasure Hunting" page could be formed, for those who like both codes. And there's no telling to the combinations of letterboxing and geocaching hunts that will result, doubling the excitement and adventure.

Please reply to this if you have any suggestions.

dave09

The need for GPS is the big difference that keeps these separate. I see no reason to combine them, any more then to combine geocaching.com with other similar GPS hunt sites. If you like both, great, but not everyone does. There are letterbox hybrids listed on gc. That's probably as close as you'll get to combining sites.

Yes they are both fun I feel. They do need to be separate though, for each his own in this game I say. I also find it VERY funny that a letterboxer here going by the name of Jelybean believes that I am stealing letterboxes, and items from out of them.

Please if I were to steal something there is ten times more stuff in a geocache. Good Lord. And I have yet to see anything in a cache container that I would like to steal. Although I DO NOT enjoy seeing TB's and Coins disappear here all the time. I see no purpose in that at all.

Oops! Almost forgot, if we really want to get bad at this combining stuff lets mis WG with it. RFLMBO, yeah they love us soooo much.

Edited by Colorado Cacher

Personally, I think it's the same bloody game, just with different tools. And we do ourselves, both cachers and boxers, a disservice by pretending that we are the only ones on the 'One True Path' and the other guys are second-rate. I both cache and box, and grow tired of hearing the squabbling. I really look forward to the rumored launch of the Groundspeak letterboxing site. It should be ... interesting, to say the least.

Edited by yumitori

Letterboxing is just geocaching for dumb people. Leave them separate.

(Before you get all crazy, I'm jesting, and parodying a similar statement found in the letterbox forums a couple years ago.)

Jamie

Hey Jamie, "I just wanna be a sheep, baa baa baa baa"

well, I know I have probably been called 'dumb' by LBers and Geocachers,

as we are continually learning. Isn't life a learning experience?

We do have fun with both sports and try to respect all around.

I don't like the McToys, but then I don't like them at MacDonalds. We do like finding and tracing GC and TBs and jsut reading in and signing (stamping when I have it too) books.

There are so many friendly helpful adventurous people around.

Hope we can find the same commeraderie.

Blessings to you all.

we are just

Pilgrims in this Land