Several Questions From A Newby

celticbass1

I just started caching yesterday and I must say that I am addicted. I took my daughter with me on my first find and had a blast but I have a few questions.

1. What is a sig card and is it proper to take one from a cache or does it usually get picked up by the cache owner?

2. Where do I get inexpensive geocoins, and when I get them do people usually buy a lot of them and leave them in caches. If I do leave a geocoin in a cache is it OK to take a geocoin out of the cache.

3. I know it's OK to take the trinquet type items I just don't know proper etiquette on the trackable items and don't want to screw up.

4. Is it okay to place a cache where very few people will ever be able to go, for example, I will be going on a fly-in fishing trip to Canada in a week, would it be proper to place a cache at this location.

5. Where do I find out if there is going to be a meeting of cachers in my area or how do I meet one other than by chance to ask them questions.

6. Any other tips other than telling me to go to the FAQ page because I've tried that and learned a little but I've got caches to find and can't spend all day on this silly computer. LOL

7. Just remembered one other question, I have an inexpensive Garmin ETREX, can I download coordinates on to this GPS unit.

Thanks,

Celticbass

I just started caching yesterday and I must say that I am addicted. I took my daughter with me on my first find and had a blast but I have a few questions.

1. What is a sig card and is it proper to take one from a cache or does it usually get picked up by the cache owner?

A signature item is a custom trinket that identifies the cacher. A sig card is usually a business card. I generally leave them in the cache unless one is really cool

2. Where do I get inexpensive geocoins, and when I get them do people usually buy a lot of them and leave them in caches. If I do leave a geocoin in a cache is it OK to take a geocoin out of the cache.

Coins and Pins seems to be pretty well liked. Most folks usually make 500 or so and make them trackable on geocaching.com. Geocoins are considered travel bugs and don't have to be traded for but you do need to put them back out in another cache within a reasonable amount of time.

3. I know it's OK to take the trinquet type items I just don't know proper etiquette on the trackable items and don't want to screw up.

See above answer. Same rules apply.

4. Is it okay to place a cache where very few people will ever be able to go, for example, I will be going on a fly-in fishing trip to Canada in a week, would it be proper to place a cache at this location.

If you can show your approver that you can get back out there in a short amount of time if someone notes a problem with the cache. Usually "vacation" caches are not approved because one cannot maintain them properly. You might look to see if a local has placed a cache nearby though.

5. Where do I find out if there is going to be a meeting of cachers in my area or how do I meet one other than by chance to ask them questions.

Look for an "event" cache. The icon will look like a speech bubble. Also check to see if you have a local forum.

6. Any other tips other than telling me to go to the FAQ page because I've tried that and learned a little but I've got caches to find and can't spend all day on this silly computer. LOL

7. Just remembered one other question, I have an inexpensive Garmin ETREX, can I download coordinates on to this GPS unit.

Yes, you can use several pieces of software to do this. GSAK is popular and fairly inexpensive. GPSBabel and EasyGPS are free.

Thanks,

Celticbass

1. Sig cards are a unique item left my many geocachers that usually have their caching name on them or other info. They can be treated as any other trade item.

2. I don't know, maybe someone else can cover this one.

3. If you take a trackable item, or Travel Bug, use the tracking number off the tag and log taking it on the travel bug page on Geocaching.com. Only take a travel bug if you can place it into another cache within 2 weeks, and if you must keep it longer, drop the owner a note that you will move it as soon as possible.

4. It would be okay to place a cache in a seldom used area, but you must first have some form of permission to place it, or it must be in a public area where permission is not an issue. You cannot place a cache on vacation. It needs to be in an area where you can maintain it and check on it provided something happens. (Log gets wet, it gets damaged, or in some cases stolen by a non cacher.)

5. Search for an event cache, on the search page, go to the "by state" field and all the events are listed at the top. In addition you can try and find local caching groups, someone from your area may be able to help you find them. Try looking in the regional forum set here on the Groundspeak Forums.

6. GPS is usually only accurate to 10- 20 feet, but can often be more. Use your GPS to take you as close as possible, then largely ignore the GPS and look for places that look like good spots to hide a cache. Don't be surprised if it is not exactly where the GPS points.

7. Yes, but I've never used one. Someone else here can explain it better.

. . .

If you mean the plain yellow Etrx, you'll need to buy the cable to hook it up to the computer. Its about $30 from Garmin, but can be found from on-line retailers for about $10.

BTW, nice job webscouter and Airmapper!

They can be considered trade items. I personally leave such items there, unless they are the sig item of the cache owner.

Do you mean your own person geocoin? There are several sources for them. Recommend you check out the geocoin forum. There are several sources for 'generic' geocoins, if you just want some to drop off.

geocoins can be trackables, so for them you treat them like any other TB. Unactivated ones should be treated like any other trade item (trade even or up).

Trackables aren't trinkets. By that, you don't trade for them. You do need to properly track them and drop them off. (ie, on-line 'pick' them up from the cache, then 'drop off' at the cache you leave them in). What's more important is following the goals of the trackable. If you can't help the trackable's goals, don't pick them up. There are also some 'special' trackable that need to stay within a certain area, so please follow that as well.

You can find event caches in your area thru geocaching.com. ALSO, see if there is a geocaching association in your state or area. You may hear of events that are being planned before they are posted, as well as connect with fellow cachers.

While it might seem like a great idea to just 'get out there and cache', I can say that proper prior planning prevents pitaful performance. :laughing: I've found that my time spent getting all the info on a cache before going out can prevent time wasted finding the area the cache is in and the cache itself. Nothing worse then spending a lot of time going to a site and looking for the cache, only to get back to my computer and find out that the cache had been archived several days ago.