X210 Queston For A Newbie

Hi all!

I just got involved in Geocaching in the past week, and I must say that I love it! I originally bought a x300 but wanted the advantages of being able to link it to my laptop, so traded it in for an x210.

Here's my question. I've used it for total of 3 hours-if that-and the batteries(new at the beginning) are already dead AND it takes 5 minutes or more at a time to get a fix on a satellite. Is this normal? I understand it takes longer the first time it links up to a satellite, but it takes forever to link. AND when I'm trying to track myself on the screen, it takes a minute or two to update. Usually I have to move the little arrow thingy to get the screen to show any change of location. Does this sound normal at all? I purchased it at a Gander Mountain and it wasn't really sealed up-just in a box plain and the box was taped shut. I'm not in my home town and the store is 2 hours a way.I don't really want to drive that distance AGAIN to exchange it.

Any help or comments stating that this is normal would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!! :ph34r:

Does it take 5 mins to get a lock when you turn on the receiver outdoors? It takes my eXplorists a lot longer to find satellites when I turn them on indoors before heading out.

As for the map screen updating, what scale are you viewing it at? If you are zoomed way out (scale bar will read a large #) your footsteps aren't a big enough change in location for your cursor to move on the map.

The battery life you got is bad. You should be seeing something like 14 hrs.

Let me know your situation with regards to the first two paragraphs. It sounds like your receiver might be screwed, based on what you've described and the fact you got it in a non-factory sealed box. Guessing someone returned it.

The 210 is a better deal than the 300, simply because of the computer connectivity and its autorouting capability. Unfortunately it sounds like you got a dud.

Does it take 5 mins to get a lock when you turn on the receiver outdoors? It takes my eXplorists a lot longer to find satellites when I turn them on indoors before heading out.

As for the map screen updating, what scale are you viewing it at? If you are zoomed way out (scale bar will read a large #) your footsteps aren't a big enough change in location for your cursor to move on the map.

Let me know your situation with regards to the first two paragraphs. It sounds like your receiver might be screwed, based on what you've described and the fact you got it in a non-factory sealed box. Guessing someone returned it.

The 210 is a better deal than the 300, simply because of the computer connectivity and its autorouting capability. Unfortunately it sounds like you got a dud.

It's 5 minutes outside. Inside forget it! I don't even bother at this point in time!

As for the scale, I'm usually zoomed in, usually 20 ft or less. Very rarely do I actually have it zoomed out. I usually have a good idea where I'm headed and don't even bother to consult the GPS until I'm in the general area.

Thanks for replying-I appreciate your help. I might be returning the unit when I get home...Gander Mountain is going to hate me! lol

It's 5 minutes outside. Inside forget it! I don't even bother at this point in time!

As for the scale, I'm usually zoomed in, usually 20 ft or less. Very rarely do I actually have it zoomed out. I usually have a good idea where I'm headed and don't even bother to consult the GPS until I'm in the general area.

Thanks for replying-I appreciate your help. I might be returning the unit when I get home...Gander Mountain is going to hate me! lol

Ummm, the 210 doesn't zoom in closer than 100 ft. From the manual: "The map display can be

zoomed in to 100 ft. (35.0 m)"

As to battery life, might you have the backlight light turned on? The "14 hour" thing only applies with the light off.

Also from the manual: "Use the display backlight sparingly. The most severe drain on the batteries is the use of the display backlight. You will notice a drastic drop in battery life with the backlight display on high. You should use the Light Timer to set a time interval that the display backlight will automatically turn to the lowest

setting when none of the buttons have been pressed and the computed location hasn’t changed."

Next, does it really take 5 minutes to get satellite lock? Every time? Mine takes anywhere from the manual's stated 1 minute up to 4-5 minutes depending on what satellites are overhead and what else may be blocking the GPSr's view of the satellites like trees or buildings.

Hope this is helpful

Yes, it's 5 minutes every time. I've been taking my sister-in-law with me everytime I'm off caching, and she even commented that if all of the 210s were this slow she'd go with the 300 (the model I had originally) because it was by far faster.

I was off on the reading, I'm sorry. I must've been tired when I was reading the numbers. Heck, that's the only thing I seem to be seeing is the distance on the bottom. My arrow to show my tracking just never moves, even if I do!

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate them!

Although the 210 and the 300 have differences between them, they should share the same circuitry for calculating position. If you are consistently seeing a perfomance difference like that between them, it suggests some kind of flaw.

It might be worth a try, though, to reset the unit and re-initialize it. From the power off position, simultaneously press GOTO + OUT + POWER to reset to factory defaults. When you reinitialize, leave it outside with a clear view of the sky for 15 minutes (maybe 20 minutes in your case :wub: ) to allow download of a new almanac.

If you continue to get those long lock times when standing still--it's not too unusual to require longer times if moving--then I'd say it's time to seek repair or exchange.