Getting Coords From A Map

wzd

Ok, I have loaded a number of cache coordinates into my GPS, no problem. Usually I also have a destination that I have a mapquest map up for, and want to also load the coordinates of that destination into my GPS as well. I've tried a few things, but haven't found a good way yet. It seems simple - allow me to click on a map and get the coordinates manually or even better create a waypoint file. Any pointers?

cool, that works and gets me degree/minute accuracy. It does give directions similar to what I am used to, but the interface is slightly harder (simple things like field order on the form - tab does not move where I expect...). Thanks!

For others: I have also found http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert?form=address that will take the address in the form accepted by mapquest/google map/etc. and convert it to degree/minute.xxx format.

edit: spelling

Edited by wzd

The only reason I suggest maporama.com is that it does world-wide addresses. There are also MANY geocoding services on the web, some better than others.

You can also take the coordinates that you get from any of these services and plug them in to Geocachingadmin.com's Terra Server Viewer if you're in the U.S. That way you can get a pretty accurate image of the area, and wherever you click the map refreshes and tells you the coordinates of that click.

Using this, I've gotten coordinates to within 20 feet of someone's house with just the street address. Closer than some caches I've found.

Edited by Markwell

If I need to find the coordinates of a point that I can easily locate on a map but which doesn't necessarily have an address -- like an intersection of two Nat'l Forest roads, or a stream crossing -- I use the Acme Mapper: http://mapper.acme.com/. It will try to locate addresses for you, and you can fine-tune the results by simply moving the Google map around.

(The maps created by GPS Visualizer also have some Acme-like features these days: specifically, a crosshair in the center of the map with a readout of the crosshair's coordinates.)