Very Confused About Html Formatting On Waymark Page

I have a Waymark waiting for approval. When I created the page, I attempted to put in a bulleted list and it wouldn't work. So, I gave up and submitted it with little short paragraphs in that section.

Then, with time on my hands this afternoon, I thought I would try to figure out what the problem is.

So, first I edited one of my cache pages with a simple list with just the word "test" on each line. That worked. :blink: So, then I tried that on the Waymark page, and it worked!! :P

Great. thumbsup.gif

I edited out all the <P> and </P> codes and put in the correct <ul><li> and </li></ul> codes with the longer sentences. Before editing and viewing the Waymark page, I copied and pasted this section onto my cache page and it displayed correctly. However, when I copied and pasted that same code to the Waymark page, all the formatting was lost again. :D

What's up with that? :P

My Waymark page will be more attractive if I can get this bulleted list of points to display. :P

If someone wants to look at the page, I have left the list codes there, so the last paragraph is all run together now. I'm hoping this can be fixed, so I won't have to edit those codes out again.

TIA

Okay, thanks to the person who approved my Waymark. Because of that, I went back and re-edited the page again so the text doesn't run together. faint.gif

I would still like to create a bulleted list however, so any help will be appreciated.

I wonder why a short bulleted list with just the word "test" worked, but my longer sentences didn't.

Maybe I'll post in the Web Site Forum to see if they can track down the errant code?

The two sites should work the same . . . at least one would hope so . . . :ph34r:

One problem I found is that your entire description is rendered within a single TD, thus any restrictions on rendering something within a TD come into play. For example, I was trying to dynamically resize gallery images onto the main page by using percentages (width=40%, etc) - and that would work with firefox, but not IE. It turns out IE won't let you put an image resized by a percentage within a table element, probably due to how they determine screen layout. I have to put in explicit sizes instead. That might have something to do with the bulleted list problem - or not, dunno.

This was a very simple bulleted list, and it worked on both the cache page and the Waymark page, when only the word "test" was between the <li> and the </li>.

As soon as I changed it to the long sentences necessary for the information on the Waymark page, all the formatting was ignored on the Waymark page. :o The codes were not stripped away by HTML Tidy; they were still there when I went to edit the page. The site just ignored them. :D

Very strange . . . :unsure:

I couldn't get bullets to show in a <ul> list on a Waymarking description regardless of the length of the list item text (in other words, I couldn't reproduce the "test" example you mentioned), so I'm not sure what you saw. But as far as I can tell, the problem is that the primary Waymarking style sheet (main.css) sets the list-style to "none", which means bullets are not displayed in lists anywhere on the page.

The workaround might have been to include an inline style to get the bullets turned back on again like this:

<ul style="display:inline; list-style: square;">

<li>first list item</li>

<li>next list item</li>

</ul>

But this doesn't work because HTML tidy is stripping the inline styles from the code.

You could always do it the hard way using tables:

<table>

<tr><td>•</td><td>first list item</td></tr>

<tr><td>•</td><td>next list item</td></tr>

</table>

Well . . . that's interesting. :(

I just put a "test" list on my page, here.

I'll leave it there, since I doubt anyone will be looking at that page to log that Waymark now . . . it is about 115° there now. faint.gif

Maybe I'll play with it and see what happens if I add a space and a second word and third word and fourth word . . . :mad: I wonder where the "breaking point" will be. :laughing:

I don't see bullets on the linked page, so now I'm confused.

Are you saying:

1) that you can get bullets to show up if you use only short list entries, and that the problem is the bullets are disappearing when the list entries reach some threshold length?

or

2) that you never see the bullets, but the list formatting itself gets messed up when list entries reach some threshold length?

Doh! You are right . . . I just realized that, but what happens is that the bullets do appear for a brief period of time when the page reloads on my very slow 24K dialup connection. I saw them and then they disappeared . . . :(

Do they disappear when the Style Sheet finally loads? :mad: