Hard Reset On Etrex Legend?

Hello,

I have had a Garmin Etrex Legend for a couple of years. I am currently selling it on eBay as we have switched our computers to Macintosh. Our iMac does not have the correct plug on it to hook up the Etrex cord, so I can't download maps or waypoints anymore.

I'd like to do a hard reset on the unit before selling it, basically wipe everything off of it to start fresh. I couldn't find this anywhere in my manual. Any ideas?

Thank you very much. - Jeremy

Hello,

I have had a Garmin Etrex Legend for a couple of years. I am currently selling it on eBay as we have switched our computers to Macintosh. Our iMac does not have the correct plug on it to hook up the Etrex cord, so I can't download maps or waypoints anymore.

I'd like to do a hard reset on the unit before selling it, basically wipe everything off of it to start fresh. I couldn't find this anywhere in my manual. Any ideas?

You can do a reset by shutting the unit off, and then pressing and holding these four buttons simultaneously for at least 5 seconds: Page, Find, Click Stick, and Power. The next person to use it will have to treat it like a brand-mew unit, and let it sit out with a clear view of the sky for 20 minutes or so.

This will get rid of all stored waypoints, tracks, routes, etc. -- but it won't delete any maps you have previously downloaded. (I don't know of a way to get rid of maps other than by downloading new maps over them.)

Edited by the hermit crabs

Hello,

Jeremy-

Can I ask what you are considering replacing it with? Looking for an upgrade for our Etrex- also have a Mac.

Thanks.

OK so I'm home for lunch right now and tried both of the suggestions provided for a hard reset.

Holding down the "Mark" button (click stick I assume) while powering up does bring up a sort of "system info" screen. It shows the software version, time since last reset, etc. It then just sits there on that screen until I shut it off. Upon start up again, my info is still there.

The other suggestion, of pushing all 4 of the buttons at the same time only resulted in a normal power up.

Any other suggestions? Or what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Sorry about that. TheHermitCrabs and I were both half right. Try this: With the unit turned off, press and hold the follow buttons: PAGE + Enter on the click stick. Then press and release the POWER. The unit will power up asking if you want to release all user data. Select yes, and the unit will be reset.

If that doesn't work, there is another technique, but it involves putting the unit in a brown paper bag, swinging it over your head in your front yard wearing a toga while you cluck like a chicken. :P I wouldn't go there. :blink:

Sorry about that. TheHermitCrabs and I were both half right. Try this: With the unit turned off, press and hold the follow buttons: PAGE + Enter on the click stick. Then press and release the POWER. The unit will power up asking if you want to release all user data. Select yes, and the unit will be reset.

If that doesn't work, there is another technique, but it involves putting the unit in a brown paper bag, swinging it over your head in your front yard wearing a toga while you cluck like a chicken. :P I wouldn't go there. :blink:

Worked perfect. Many thanks! I'm glad I didn't have to resort to plan B...