Category For "fixed-in-place" Evidence Of Native Americans

Saturday I found a couple of Native American grinding holes in the Laguna Mountains east of San Diego.

I took a picture of one of them with my GSPr next to it.

0a4ff349-acb5-4981-8638-5dbaf683df58.jpg

I have seen these in many other locations, and think there are other items that could fit into this category. Once while hiking in Canyonlands National Park, we found the ruins of a dwelling high up on a cliff. It was not on any maps provided by the NPS.

If a new category isn't needed, or if I am misunderstanding how this site works, I would appreciate finding out where I can put my grinding hole. :)

TIA.

Should the locations of sensitive sites, which may enrich the lives of the common man and woman, be kept secret by a priveleged few because of some perceived danger, or should it be the managing orgs' responsibility to adequately guard such resources and educate the masses as to their fragile natures? Who owns latitude/longitude anyway?

One problem that may arise is that these sites are often protected and deliberately kept secret. They were removed from topo maps because of various pothunting activities. This wont make land managers happy. The same with the petroglyph sites.

Does Waymarking have a restriction about keeping such cool things secret?

These grinding holes were near a cache location in the Cleveland National Forest. It was a long hike to the location, and if I hadn't taken down the coordinates, I wouldn't be able to find them again.

For people interested in such things, I think it would be a good catagory.

I would look for more of these a lot sooner than I'm going to look for McDonald's Waymark. :)

Local laws concerning trespassing should cover this scenario, one would think.

Latitude and Longitude are 'conceptualizations' and do not 'exist'. As such, no one can 'own' them.

Intellectual property is one thing, but the actual locational information is another all together.

However, access to these sites may be forbidden. By posting information, and thus encouraging individuals to go to said location may in fact be illegal as well. Basically, if you are not allowed to be there, don't inspire others to be there either.

:) The Blue Quasar

The grinding holes I have found have never been in restricted areas. I just found them while hiking or while scrambling around on rock piles.

Why shouldn't these wonderful artifacts from another era be shared?

I'm sure other people have also found things similar to this they would like to share with the Waymarking community.

If Pictographs and Petroglyphs are listed on Waymarking, why shouldn't these be listed?

The grinding holes look difficult to destroy. Petroglyphs and other such things are a different situation. There are types of people who would willingly destroy a several thousand year old petroglyph if given a chance. To some people, destruction is just as much of an accomplishment or importance as construction. :laughing:

No one owns longitude latitude. However, possibly some petroglyph sites are not under a management situation and would be endangered if their locations were published.

Discretion is advised.