The History Of The Original Cache In Each State And Country

Over in the New England forums, g-o-cashers recently started this interesting thread about the history behind the oldest cache in Massachusetts (actually the oldest cache in New England). It took some research, but the resulting story is great. Earlier today, Team Jsam started this topic about Dave Ulmer's original cache, and then ventura_kids pointed out that actual first cache was in California. Mountain_Wanderer (who is on a quest to find the first and/or oldest cache in each state) added this post to the Massachusetts cache discussion, and it got me thinking that it might be a good idea to capture historical information about the original caches in each state and in each country, and gather it together in one place, before the stories are lost.

If you have information about the history behind the oldest cache in your state or country, can you please post it here so we can keep a permanent record? I'm not looking for just a list of the oldest - I'm hoping we can capture and archive information about the story behind the caches: who, and how, and why, that particular cache came to be. First hand knowledge would be especially cool, but if you think you know stuff, feel free to add it to the discussion.

Someday we'll all be too old to remember any of this, ya know. So we might as well write it down while we can.