Precious Memories

1st of all let me tell y'all how glad I am that I found the Waymarking link! Great job and 'bout time! :laughing:

Now down to business.....

I'd like to propose a Precious Memories category, sub-category, where we could put or dearly departed relatives if we wished.

Thanks for the thought!

Don't take this the wrong way, but where would be the interest in the category? I doubt you care where my relatives are buried any more than I tend to care where other people's relatives are buried. I could see people creating Waymarks in a category, but I don't think they'd ever get visited, except by family of the placer (or of the deceased).

That's very possible, but then again who knows how it would be received? I guess the odds are it wouldn't be see by many outside of the geographic area, and the question would be how may folks do YOU, or WE, have around that would be interested in such. I personally spend alot of time in cemeteries doing family research, so it would be a little bonus to me. <_<

The use of handheld GPS units will make a big impact on the genealogy community. There are many of us who do family research who would like to record the locations of family cemeteries or burial plots. My first waypoint was the logging of the gravesite of a Revolutionary War Ancestor. By determining and recording the burial locations we can assist future generations of family members in finding these sites. If you are not interested in family history, this topic is probably not of interest. If you are a genealogist, you are excited about the GPS technology and see it as a great way to mark family and historic sites and pass this information along.

Hmm. . . My initial reaction was the same as IV Warrior’s – WHY? But after reading Escanaba’s post, I realize how valuable a tool this could be to me and other genealogists.

I spend a lot of time in cemeteries researching my own family and as a volunteer for Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness. When someone asks me to take photos of a particular gravesite, I also send along directions on how to find the grave once inside the cemetery. With time the landscape of cemeteries invariably change and engravings on headstones wear off, making it difficult to locate a particular grave again. It never occurred to me that I could/should also send GPS coordinates.

This could be a very useful category. If approved, it should also be mentioned in various genealogical circles where I’m sure it will be of some interest.

That's 3 Yea, looking good so far! It's nice being around such like minded folks. By the way... Precious Memories doesn't have to be the name of it. SO, where do we go from here? :anibad:

Create a group-->get others to join-->promote at least two as officers-->create category description and variables-->put category up for the officers to vote --> put category up for peer review --> list category in directory --> wait for waymarks to be submitted --> approve them :)