Gps 315 Help Please?

I have a Magellan GPS315 that I would like to let my 8-yr old use (or my 5th graders at school), BUT I can't get the waypoints to transfer from the computer to the GPS unit. I was hoping someone might be able to HELP me.

I have two different serial cables - both work with my SportTrak Map, but will not show the 315 as even being connected. The connections look the same - is it the same cable? Is there anything I need to know? I have set the baud rate and everything else I can find to the settings that work with the SportTrak, but still no luck.

Thanks in advance!

Jerry

I'm not positive, but I think the SporTrak and 315 use the same cable. Are you able to transfer waypoints to the SporTrak? If so, check the settings on the 315...Baud rate for the software and the hardware need to match. Also make sure you have NMEA on. Some software is picky. What software do you use to transfer waypoints?

We'll get this figured out.

You should be able to use the same cable for both units, I have a Meridian and a 315 and use the same cable on my pc. Also you need to have NMEA switched off on your GPSr as it will be outputting info to the software that it is not expecting and therfore will stop the connection operating properly.

I have found that the Magellan mapping software will not operate well with my 315 for reading and uploading waypoints. Have you tried it with something simple like Easygps, the 315 will work better with a lower baud rate like 4800. You can set up the preferences in Easygps for each of your GPSr types you use.

You can get Easygps from the link in Resources on the Geocaching.com webpages

You should be able to use the same cable for both units, I have a Meridian and a 315 and use the same cable on my pc. Also you need to have NMEA switched off on your GPSr as it will be outputting info to the software that it is not expecting and therfore will stop the connection operating properly.

I have found that the Magellan mapping software will not operate well with my 315 for reading and uploading waypoints. Have you tried it with something simple like Easygps, the 315 will work better with a lower baud rate like 4800. You can set up the preferences in Easygps for each of your GPSr types you use.

You can get Easygps from the link in Resources on the Geocaching.com webpages

I've tried the Magellan mapping software and GSAK, but I should try EasyGPS. So far, I can't get either of the others to recognize that I have the 315 connected. My SportTrak Map works fine with the same cable on the Magellan mapping software and GSAK.

Jerry