Etrex Legend - Poor Accuracy?

I've recently purchased an etrex Legend (still within the return period) and after using it for a couple of days (sadly, not for geocaching yet...) I've found that the accuracy has never dropped below 35 feet. This is including using it in the middle of an open field with only minor cloud cover. Is there possibly a setting that I need to change to improve my accuracy or is this just par for the course? I have it set for WGS84 and with WAAS on (although limitedly, but wasn't able to get a lock on a WAAS satelite after about 10 minutes of sitting in one place) I've read that people have gotten accuracys of 10 feet and less, and I'm hoping I'm just doing something wrong.

Thanks for the help in advance!

~Amanda~

35 feet is not too bad; and 10 feet is under ideal conditions. You should be getting 15-20 feet, +/- 10 feet.

I have a Vista which has same circuitry as the Legend.

If you can return it, I would trade it for a Legend C. It has a much faster processor for it's optional mapping capabilities (i.e. auto routing); longer battery life; color screen; and larger memory storage.

I have a Legend also and have found it to be pretty accurate. There are more featured and advanced GPSs out there but the legend works well. I have used it for geocaching 3 times and have found I was within 6 to 15 feet ot the mark. When the pointer freaks out you are really close to the mark. I use mine mostly for hiking and kayaking trips and track back works great.

John

i also have a legend and from what i read if you dont live towards the east or west coat the was sats wont help since that is where they are i live in illinois and tried was and noticed less accurracy with it on ,try using it off i generally get a accurracy of 16 feet with it off in open areas