Layover At Dulles

Blue Power Ranger

Thanks. I was hoping someone locally could give me a tip about an easy cache to get to there even if I did have to take a short taxi ride. I know that Google Earth doesn't really do justice to what is easy to get to and what isn't here in Seattle. Proximity doesn't necessarily mean ease of visit. I am willing to go a bit out of my way and fight through security again just to help my sad states cached map... and to get my fix before heading back on a long flight.

<_<

8009d000-2413-4a84-bbe0-082230dc7dad.jpg

Well how long is your layover? How far would you be willing to go? The two mentioned would be easy access, as would any caches along the Dulles Toll Rd (267). There is a pretty big cluster of fairly easy to get to caches near the junction of Reston Parkway and the Dulles Toll Rd. That is about 5 miles from the airport.

And just to be totally clear here, there is no option to walk from Dulles Airport to pretty much anywhere beyond the surrounding airport parking lots and office / industrial buildings on the airport property. There are no caches located on airport property, nor are any likely to be approved in the future for security reasons. Dulles is located 25 miles outside Washington, DC, on a large swath of what was formerly farmland. Although suburbs have since stretched out to the Dulles area, the airport itself is still accessible only from a limited access highway (i.e. no sidewalk, no pedestrians allowed).

So if you wanted to leave Dulles for a caching excursion, you would need to take some form of motorized vehicle (taxi, shuttle bus, rental car, etc.).