Making A Cache For Beginners

I have found a place for a small cache, that will be handicapped accessible (a real 1/1 P-n-G). The site itself is kinda neat, but I want teh cache page to be more. So I was thinking about making a cache... explaining caching. The idea is to make one for beginners to find, give them a little visual reward, and give them a sort of background "FAQ" to get their feet wet. Those already in the know could just stop and log it for the view, of course.

Anyway, I need help.

1) Does that count as promoting an agenda? :ph34r::anitongue:

2) What information would you say is absolutely important for inclusion on such a page?

I already had teh decon box, and I swiped some magnets out of a hard drive - it works much better than I was expecting. All I need to do is secure permission. (No, a regular ammo box would not work at the location and maintain a 1/1, otherwise I would have done so. I like bigger!)

Thanks for your input.

EDIT: 3) I need a cleverer name, too. I stink at such things.

Edited by New England n00b

I have found a place for a small cache, that will be handicapped accessible (a real 1/1 P-n-G). The site itself is kinda neat, but I want teh cache page to be more. So I was thinking about making a cache... explaining caching. The idea is to make one for beginners to find, give them a little visual reward, and give them a sort of background "FAQ" to get their feet wet. Those already in the know could just stop and log it for the view, of course.

Anyway, I need help.

1) Does that count as promoting an agenda? :anitongue::ph34r:

2) What information would you say is absolutely important for inclusion on such a page?

I already had teh decon box, and I swiped some magnets out of a hard drive - it works much better than I was expecting. All I need to do is secure permission. (No, a regular ammo box would not work at the location and maintain a 1/1, otherwise I would have done so. I like bigger!)

Thanks for your input.

EDIT: 3) I need a cleverer name, too. I stink at such things.

I don't think of it as promoting an agenda unless you see caching as an agenda, we put together what is nearly a 100% mobility assisted cache that can be logged from a scooter or wheelchair. It is just a micro but has been very popular. It is a magnetic attached to the back of a slanted commemoratory sign:

Flotilla Handicache

The word "handicache" might be a good idea in the title as it is a keyword that can be utilised by those looking for such a cache.

I think that sounds like a great idea. thumbsup.gif

As for what to put on the cache page, I think a very brief "History of Geocaching," would be a good idea.

You could mention the "roots" of Geocaching, and the idea of Quality over Quantity for cache placements, depending on how "political" you want to get. :anitongue:

As for a name . . . I have a hard time with that myself and get teased about "View" being in the name of all my caches . . . icon_smile_blush.gif

:anitongue: The first point was kinda an attempt at humor. :ph34r: Yeah yeah, I stink. :D

Bill & Tammy - Handicache in the title, I like it. Definitely put that one there.

Miragee - I don't wanna get into the debate portion of quality - I think I might go with an opining on the right cache size for the right location, but not much beyond that. I love Auntie Weasels Notebook. Hadn't seen that one yet. :(

EDIT: You DO have a lot of 'Views' :(

Edited by New England n00b

How 'bout "Geocaching 101"? In your cache description you could explain the basics of geocaching, along with advice you've learned as a cacher.

Good idea.

Considering that many never visit the forums and/or know of instructional postings or websites, a straight forward explaination may be the most information they've ever been given.

If you can incorporate the instructions with the seeking, that would be great too. Just try not to bore them. :anitongue:

How 'bout "Geocaching 101"? In your cache description you could explain the basics of geocaching, along with advice you've learned as a cacher.

OT Post Script; Why can't I accept food from the pig?

Excellent, good idea!

As for food and pig issues, see the thread in Off Topic for more info. If'n y'all dare, that is. :anitongue:

Good idea.

Considering that many never visit the forums and/or know of instructional postings or websites, a straight forward explaination may be the most information they've ever been given.

If you can incorporate the instructions with the seeking, that would be great too. Just try not to bore them. :ph34r:

"Try not to bore them..." Uh-oh, I'm doomed. :anitongue: Bueller? Bueller? :D The cache itself is rather easy - it will be a park-n-grab. I'm gonna hafta stick with being edjumakayshunal.