Garmin Drivers

Just got my first GPSr (Etrex Venture CX) and some map software (Canada Topo). I'm very impressed with the unit so far. Don't you love technology!! B) However, when I hook the GPSr to my laptop (Windows XP) it does the usual "Found new hardware", then I do the usual stuff for getting the drivers installed. No probs, except that at the end of it all it says there's an error. I hit Finish, then it locates new hardware again and wants to do the whole thing again. It'll keep doing this until I hit Cancel when it asks if I want to install the new hardware. The computer and the mapping program do see the GPSr, and I can upload and download info with no problems. Also, if I shut the GPSr off or remove the cable I have to go through the driver install again. So, it does work, but not very efficiently. I notice that the drivers they send on Canada Topo are dated 2003 and 2004. Even on the Garmin website they're from 2004 (as far as I could find anyway). Does anyone know if there are updated drivers out? I ordered City Navigator as well, but it was back ordered as they're waiting to send Ver 8. Do you think the new version of that has newer drivers.

Thanks,

Tom

Edited by fm2f90x

No, I didn't get Trip and Waypoint Manager. Hopefully City Nav. ver 8 has all the latest drivers. Anyone know when that is coming out exactly? You'd think the Garmin website would have new drivers, if they've made any since 2004.

Did you get a MapSoruce Trip and Waypoint Manageer CD with youre GPS? If you did you GPS USB Drivers are on that disk. Just search for it using the CD Rom Drive with that disk in there.

Hi there,

I did try the driver from Garmin's website. It's from Aug 2004, though. Was XP out back then? I can't remember. I sent an e-mail to Garmin, but I figured I'd try the forums here at Groundspeak because there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people answering a lot of questions. Hopefully I'll be able to add to this community as well someday. In the meantime... thanks everyone who's helping me out.

Sorry, it was not clear. Did you install the drivers from Garmin's website?

Hi there,

I did try the driver from Garmin's website. It's from Aug 2004, though. Was XP out back then? I can't remember. I sent an e-mail to Garmin, but I figured I'd try the forums here at Groundspeak because there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people answering a lot of questions. Hopefully I'll be able to add to this community as well someday. In the meantime... thanks everyone who's helping me out.

Sorry, it was not clear. Did you install the drivers from Garmin's website?

I was having this problem also and what helped me was I noticed the garmin file was in a folder on my c: named garmin so I: 1: Restarted computer and went to Controlpanel/system/hardware/devicemanager. Clicked on the yellow ! next to my "usb device" loaded the driver directly from that folder. it installed w/out any problems and seems to work fine now. Anyway hope that helps.

Edited by eXtremeJeep

I was having this problem also and what helped me was I noticed the garmin file was in a folder on my c: named garmin so I: 1: Restarted computer and went to Controlpanel/system/hardware/devicemanager. Clicked on the yellow ! next to my "usb device" loaded the driver directly from that folder. it installed w/out any problems and seems to work fine now. Anyway hope that helps.

I gave that a try, installing from the Device Manager. Everything worked the same as before. It works fine until I shut it off or unplug it, then I have to install it again. I noticed that the drivers are Unsigned for WinXP. I think that might be the problem. They're three years old so maybe Garmin needs update them.

Thanks for your time,

Tom

Edited by fm2f90x