Garmin Streetpilot 2720 Vs. 2730?

Hi all,

I've read and re-read reviews of auto GPS units for months, and have settled upon either the Garmin SP 2720 or 2730. Can anybody enlighten me as to the difference between them?

To me, it looks like the only difference is in the traffic service. Here's what I've been able to determine:

--2720: you have to also buy a $200 receiver, then the traffic subscription is provided by a ClearChannel entity for $60/year, which works out to be $5/month. You don't have to get the receiver, but the traffic service won't work without it-- you'll just have the basic 2720.

--2730: you don't have to buy a separate receiver, as XM stuff is included. This includes the capability for radio, traffic, and weather-- for a subscription, which is $10-$18 per month, depending on what XM services you get.

So can anybody shed further light on the differences? For instance, I don't have a huge desire for XM radio, but if the XM traffic service is better than the ClearChannel one, I'd be willing to spend the extra money monthly on it.

Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

-mig

If you don't necessarily care for all the extra functions (various settings, tracking, remote control etc.) of the StreetPilot 27xx, then you may consider the StreetPilot c550. The traffic receiver is included in the box and it also has handsfree over Bluetooth, just like the StreetPilot 2820.

It will save you some money too.

Edited by apersson850
I've read and re-read reviews of auto GPS units for months, and have settled upon either the Garmin SP 2720 or 2730.

I did notice how old this thread is but I figure I will answer it anyway in case others have the same question. Like you said the biggest diffrerence is the XM traffic capabilities along with XML weather. The 2730 also includes the audio book player and MP3 player, as well as anFM transmitter.