Need Help Choosing A Gpsr (have Patience:-))

Hi, I've been looking around for my first GPS receiver and I narrowed my possible choices to:

- gpsmap60c

- vista c

- legend cx

Do you expert GPS users think that the extra features in 60c are worth the price difference to vista c? And which one do you think it's better: vista c or legend cx?

Thanks

ps: sorry for my not so good english

I have the Vista C and prefer it because of its nice small size.

I got the City Select software so it auto-routes me around just as well as the more expensive, larger, 60c.

The Cx versions are nice because of the memory card, but if you don't do a lot of traveling, the regular 'C' units are adequate.

I just upgraded from a 60cs to a 60csx. The 's' has a couple extra features but should not effect my opinion to follow...

If you ever think you'll exceed the 56mb with detailed mapping and waypoints, tracks, routing data... then you better include the 60cx into your list. The 'x' allows you to use SD memory so you can blow past 500 waypoints and have detailed mapping for a much larger area (if you use a 1gb SD).

On the other hand, you may be trying to get the best GPS at the lowest price today (so you can invest in a tank of gasoline for the car). The 'x' will cost a little more up front as well as any future improvements.

One last comment, check the 'extras' that you'll likely get (ie, Power cable for car, Dash mounts, Belt clips, protective covers, etc.). Some GPS bands are more costly to deck-out than other. Add all the trim to the GPSr price and compare the bottom lines. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, you may be trying to get the best GPS at the lowest price today (so you can invest in a tank of gasoline for the car). The 'x' will cost a little more up front as well as any future improvements.

That's right Green Achers, i've set a goal price of 400 euro (I live in portugal) and I think I'm pushing my father's wallet a bit too far :rolleyes:

Here a 60cx would never cost less than 500/550eur (around 550/600 usdollars).

I have a 60cs and love it. Some people think it is a little to large, but I haven't had any issues with the size. I would not get the CS because I do not use the compass or barometer, so the 60C would be about right. If you are looking for a real deal I understand there is a rebate on the 76C right now. If you don't mind the shape and button placement this might be one to look at. It has more memory to boot.

I had the same problem as you, choosing the best device for my needs but keeping the price low. Finally I got the vista cx. And I love it.

As you wrote you are thinking about:

- gpsmap60c

- vista c

- legend cx

In this case I would go for the vista...but the cx version. It uses sd cards (I'm using a 1gb card) so plenty of memory. Compared to the legend it got a compass - so you can also do bearing to a direction etc...

It doesn't have a sirfIII chipset - so it can only get data from up to 12 satellites at one time (instead of 16 if I remember correctly) and is a bit slower than a sirfIII but I think this is marginal compared to the price difference to the the compared to the 76csx and its price.

Hope this helps

Andre

Yeah, thanks, I also decided to go for the vista cx... I think the 60's are much more expensive, so I prefer to have the top eTrex than the basic 60. It's going to arrive tomorrow or thursday, let's hope I don't get disapointed.

Thanks ppl for all the help

João (one more geocacher in 1/2 days)