Topo/sdcard For Xl

I have read a lot on this forum but have particular questions. I would really appreciate the help. Thanks. I own an Magellan eXplorist XL and am very happy with it. I load Geocaches in and erase them when I find them. I currently do not have a SD card in, nor have I loaded any Topo maps. Memory has not been a problem and do not forsee it as I said earlier I erase all found caches and erase all track routes and etc. Here are my questions and thanks again:

1) I want to add a Topo. Will the Magellan MapSend Topo work best as this IS (both) a Magellan product?

2) I am NOT a computer savy person. I read about converting this and converting that and doing this-way beyond my ability. Please don't tell me to do this type of thing.

3) How about an SD card with the Topo on it? This appeals to me as it is EASY!

4) Had a SporTrak Pro a few years ago and was able to use the Map Topo with it so think I COULD do that again. But as I am older now my patience is "smaller"?? :ph34r:

5) Please don' tell me to purchase this or that unit (different gps unit) as I am not going to do that, am pleased very much with the XL, not that anything else is not good also.

Thanks. You are a great bunch of people.

:ph34r: SunnyWalker

Has to be TOPO 3D, that you load into the unit.

You can put a small map file on the eXplorist XL, without an SD card, and it is a bit easier not having to jump back and forth between internal memory and the SD memory, but a memory card is good to have, since if you put the maps on an SD memory card then any errors are contained on the card, and won't hurt the GPS itself. If you were to put the wrong maps in the internal memory, that could lock up the unit, causing you to have to ship the GPS in for repair.

I have a 1 gig SD card, I just bought last nite at Best Buy for $69, and I know I spent a bit more than what I could have gotten online, but I needed it because I kept getting errors with a 64meg Card, and possibly due to segmenting of the large map files on a small chip, and it was the 64meg chip out of the Map60Cx, and it was in it's adaptor in the eXplorist XL.

This is a good GPS, with a good screen, but a bit more quirky than my Map60Cx, which does work nicely for hikes, but that GPS needed a higher resolution screen.

eXplorist XL at 320x240 does a better job of replacing paper maps on the Trail than the tiny screen(240x160) of the Map60Cx, but I do like the Tracklogging and Trip Computer aspect of the Map60Cx than the eXplorist XL.

Edited by GOT GPS?

You want MapSend Topo3D. It is essentially the same process you had to go through with the SporTrack, so I think you'll feel comfortable enough with doing it...at least after you've done it once successfully. About the hardest thing is entering the serial number of the GPS.

With the available internal memory, you can wait on acquiring an SD card if you want. I recommend using an SD card, though, for two reasons: 1) they're affordable (cheap) expandable memory, and 2) if something goes awry such that you lose all memory (for example, the unit freezes up and you have to do a hard reset to recover), SD memory contents are still preserved. We're talking a $15-20 insurance policy here. If a small card is sufficient, you can even get them free after rebate, if you look around.

Yes, thank you. I do like the idea of "isolating" any probs on the SD card. Also, the Map Topo on the PC has some advantages. You can utilize the 3D type of thing whereas if I purchased the MapSendTopo on SD card that would not be available?

Yes, cheap expandable memory too. I saw on Tiger that I could get the top for $80 and so I could get the SD card too. For now I could start with a small card and only load particular geocache sites. Next month get a 1 gig card or something like that.

Thanks. A lot to think about. I appreciate the feedback.

:ph34r: SunnyWalker

By the way, how do you insert a photo on the left. i.e., when I look at this screen on the forum I see, e.g., Embra's unique photo of himself and something about compost?? Hee, hee, ha, ha. Anyway, I have a photo but can't figure out how to put it in. I tried editing signature but this does not seem to affect the area I am talking about. Thanks. Sorry for change in subject.

- :ph34r: SunnyWalker

Oh, one question though: RE the SD card witht he MapSend Topo on it. does it contain any room or "extra" memory space left over foe one to use?

I am curious, though leaning heavily on NOT purchasing this item. Instead the MapSendTopo for PC.

-SunnyWalker :ph34r:

I'm not aware that Magellan sells Topo on an SD card, due to the coverage area offered in the program. Do they sell regional versions on SD card?

As for the icon/signature things, they are set up by editing your profile. Are you able to find the place where you make those edits? Once you have done them, you have to do something like log out and log back on again for them to take effect...or something like that. I always forget and it takes me 5 minutes to rediscover whatever it is whenever I make a change.

My 64 meg card from the 60Cx was acting weird so I went to Best Buy to get a 1 gig, and now the eXplorist XL is working good. I had the microSD card and it's SD adaptor in the eXplorist and it was not too good, with map errors on any map larger than 16meg, now I can use larger maps with the proper card in it now.

I may not need the full 1 gig size, but at least it will last awhile.