Lowrance Expedition C & Map And Music

Hi,

After lot of help from this forum, I have decided that lowrance map and music or the lowrance Expedition C would be what I need. Both have the same features but differ in price by around 70$ with the map and music being the cheaper one. I went to lowrance.com but they dont have any details on the map and music range. So guys could you tell me whats the difference between the two. Is one a newer version thats why it costs more or is it actually worth it?

Also could you point me to any site which provides the detailed specs of map and music. I dont trust the shopping sites.

The Map & Music is a discontinued model, they have made changes to the i-Finder series, and they applied the upgrades by making new unit models.

I cannot be positive, but I am pretty certain that the New Expedition C is IPX-7 Waterproof, and the Map & Music is not even rain proof at IPX-2. I would also expect other upgrades to the newer unit, including the antenna, which is speculated to have SIRF, although Lowrance has not confirmed that.

I believe that the iFinder Explorer is grayscale, and the Expedition is color. You might want to point your trusty browser to: http://www.lowrance.com/Outdoor/default.asp

It seems that the Explorer is grayscale, 12 channel, and no music while the the Expedition is color, 16 channel, and has music capability. I'm not sure that I'll use the Expedition for music, but the color screen will be useful. I work for a car service, and the color screen will help me to navigate. I just got rid of my defective eXplorist 400 and the grayscale screen was difficult to read. The Expedition just may be what I'm looking for. Other than that, they seem to be fairly similar.

Thanks people, that clears the doubts. Since good reception is a necessary criteria(trees and such), I will go for the expedition C. Not going for the Garmin CSx because its way way over my budget!

I havent done much online shopping here in US. I normally look at reselleratings.com for store reviews. But many GPS stores have just 10-15 reviews which are easy to rig. So could you point me to a few stores of repute which offer good prices on the expedition C?

I got my Expedition C Plus package at TigerGPS for $323. It was delivered on time and I have had no problems with the unit, software, or downloading from my 1GB SD card (purchased separately at Costco $49). Make sure you pay the extra $ to get the plus package (MapCreate 6.3 software and cardreader etc.). It's much more expensive to order it separately and I'm sure you want the MapCreate 6.3 software for the street/topo resolution).

The screen is incredible.