Topo Maps/legend

I have the Topo 3-disc set. I've become a little confused and I couldn't find this in the handbook.

Can I/Is a appropriate to get the maps off of the Eastern US CD so I don't have to put the CD in every time I want to look at them?

Secondly, with map sets, should I just make seveal smaller mapsets for a few different cahces?

I have the Topo 3-disc set. I've become a little confused and I couldn't find this in the handbook.

Can I/Is a appropriate to get the maps off of the Eastern US CD so I don't have to put the CD in every time I want to look at them?

Secondly, with map sets, should I just make seveal smaller mapsets for a few different cahces?

You can install all the discs onto your hard drive and then they are always available. I am sure this is okay as I got the instructions directly from Garmin.

To image the files to your hard drive, please follow the steps below:

1. Make a new folder on your hard drive, i.e. c:\ustopo, as follows:

a. Double click on "My Computer" and double click on the drive with (C:).

b. Right click in blank white space, select "New", and click on "Folder".

c. Name the folder "USTopo" or something else that you will remember and push "Enter" on the keyboard.

2. Double click on the folder to open it and leave the blank window off to the side.

3. With US Topo-West (CD 1) in your CD-ROM drive, go into My Computer, right-click on the CD-ROM drive containing the US Topo disk, and click on "Explore". This will display all the files on the CD-ROM.

4. Click on the "Edit" menu and click "Select All". Right-click on any highlighted icon and click on "Copy".

5. Right-click in the empty folder you just created in the blank window area and click "Paste". This will transfer all the files from the CD to the hard drive.

6. Repeat steps 3 through 5 with the other CDs. Make sure you copy them to the same file folder and do not subdivide the folder for each disk.

7. Once you are finished downloading, you will turn to the folder you created on the hard drive and look for the icon entitled "setup.exe".

8. Double click on "setup.exe" and install the program right from your hard drive. You would no longer need the CDs.

You can install all the discs onto your hard drive and then they are always available. I am sure this is okay as I got the instructions directly from Garmin.

To image the files to your hard drive, please follow the steps below:

1. Make a new folder on your hard drive, i.e. c:\ustopo, as follows:

a. Double click on "My Computer" and double click on the drive with (C:).

b. Right click in blank white space, select "New", and click on "Folder".

c. Name the folder "USTopo" or something else that you will remember and push "Enter" on the keyboard.

2. Double click on the folder to open it and leave the blank window off to the side.

3. With US Topo-West (CD 1) in your CD-ROM drive, go into My Computer, right-click on the CD-ROM drive containing the US Topo disk, and click on "Explore". This will display all the files on the CD-ROM.

4. Click on the "Edit" menu and click "Select All". Right-click on any highlighted icon and click on "Copy".

5. Right-click in the empty folder you just created in the blank window area and click "Paste". This will transfer all the files from the CD to the hard drive.

6. Repeat steps 3 through 5 with the other CDs. Make sure you copy them to the same file folder and do not subdivide the folder for each disk.

7. Once you are finished downloading, you will turn to the folder you created on the hard drive and look for the icon entitled "setup.exe".

8. Double click on "setup.exe" and install the program right from your hard drive. You would no longer need the CDs.

I think you need to uninstall the current installation before using the above procedure...

Or do these registry hacks:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...56entry997256

Edited by Maingray