Trouble With Etrex Vista

I recently purchased an Etrex Vista. It had all of the features I was looking for. I had trouble with it shutting off for no apearant reason while I was using it. The batteries were good, no sudden drops, etc. I returned it and exchanged it for another. With this one I have having trouble with the display fading in and out and it shut off on me today as well.

Is this a trend with this model? Have any others here had similar experience with the Vista? I am ready to take this one back as well.

What GPSr do any of you recommend. I am looking for a digital compass, don't really care about color display, and it needs to be able to display on one screen my location in Lat Long as well as MGRS and elevation. That is my basic needs in a GPS.

Thanks

I have had 2 vistas for many years. Early on, I experienced some shut downs, but after I inserted small pieces of closed cell foam behind the flat battery contacts, the problem disapeared. Early models of the vista had problems with a cable connection that resulted in display problems, usually horizontal lines. Pushing on the screen usually resolves the problem temporarily. Garmin service is terrific and they will usually repair of replace units with known defects at little or no cost. No guarantee of this, but well worth a try if problems continue. Both of my vistas work perfectly, but they do have the little pieces of foam enhancing the battery contact. From your description, the vista is a good, inexpensive GPSR for you.

I have a 1st year Vista. It has bendable metal tags at the negative end. When mine started turning off, I simply bent out the tabs. So far, that's all it takes. I suspect some day the tabs may break off, but she's been real good to me, considering she has taken several hard falls off my bike at 15+ mph.