Hands Free Adoption

GeoBlank

I recently wanted to move a couple objects between accounts and was pointed to a nice little self service page. (good job).

My feature request would be to let a cache owner mark his own cache availabe for adoption and then on a self service page let people see those based on a center point (home or another GC). If someone knew they were moving away and marked their caches as needing an owner and I saw they were close to my proximity it might be something I would want to own. This way we get caches that have a longer life span and can be maintained by people who want them.

The forums for listing orphans and adopting them does not seem to be the best fit (IMO)

I recently wanted to move a couple objects between accounts and was pointed to a nice little self service page. (good job).

My feature request would be to let a cache owner mark his own cache availabe for adoption and then on a self service page let people see those based on a center point (home or another GC). If someone knew they were moving away and marked their caches as needing an owner and I saw they were close to my proximity it might be something I would want to own. This way we get caches that have a longer life span and can be maintained by people who want them.

The forums for listing orphans and adopting them does not seem to be the best fit (IMO)

Interesting idea. Maybe a Needs Adoption log type that can be the basis of a search? That would trigger an email to all those watching the cache - assuming those people would be the most likely to be interested in adopting the cache.

Sounds like a good idea. I think that any system should allow

1) The owner would list the cache as available for adoption (an attribute would be fine).

2) A potential adopter would offer to accept the cache. (Say using a 'Offer to Adopt' log).

3) The owner of the cache would accept the offer and the transfer would be complete.

If an owner has dropped out of geocaching a reviewer could stand in for the old owner.

Edited by Blanston12

Perhaps the current Needs Maintenance log could be used for just such an occasion and, in a sense, is just as accurate.

The current owner posts an NM saying it is available.

A potential adopter replies with a WN, email or whatever method saying they want it.

The owner then uses the current adoption page to make it available.

In the event of a cache that has fallen on hard times and the owner cannot be reached, a prospective new owner starts with a NM log asking to adopt and the area reviewer takes it from there. I just did this very thing with a cache near me and it worked well.

Edited by Semper Questio