Explorist Button(s) Problem

Today I posted this info at the Yahoo forum (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eXplorist/message/2228)

Hi, my second X600 (replacement of an unrepairable first one) is 7 month old now. This one has failing button(s). At this moment the "zoom in" button has to be pressed beyond the keyboardsurface to get the screen zoomed in. Very annoying.

Dear folks, what are your experiences? Is this another quality flaw?

Did anyone send in the eXplorist for button repairs? Result?

Rudolf.

I went through 3 eXplorist 600s-- all sent back due to freezing issues and joystick/button problems. Every unit had some variation of the same issues, so I finally got a refund and went for a Garmin 60CSx (which I'm much happier with).

Perhaps you'll have better luck than I did.... :laughing:

My explorist 300 has a (as you call it) sticky nav button. I thought it was just me forgetting what it was like new... Does magellan repair it or replace the unit? How long did it take once one reached customer service? And, what happens after the warranty goes? How much to fix? Is it possible to fix by oneself? Sounds like there's just gunk getting down into the grooves. I'm selling this unit to my mom (got a 600) and really wish that I didn't have to do this... but, at least it happened BEFORE the warranty ends... in 5 weeks. Glad I bought the 600 at REI, nice forever guaranty...

Thanks for the help!

Wile E. Dragonfly

I called Magellan on Friday and I am getting the sticky button issue fixed under warranty. I got a few answers regarding questions that I had on this topic. First, I can expect 3 weeks without my 300 while it is repaired. Second, after the warranty is up, it will cost $45 to have the sticky button issue fixed... and each repair comes with a 90 day warranty. So, not great, but ...

What I havn't figured out at this point is if the sticky part is due to gunk in the buttons or wear on the electronic components inside of the machine. And, if it is wear, could one buy an older or even cheaper model and rob out parts to fix the issue on one's own? I'm a botanist, not an engineer, but capable of learning... so if anyone out there knows of how to fix it, I would be interested. I hope that I don't have to learn anytime soon and that this fix will work for a while.

I had the same exact problem with my 400. The zoom in button stopped functioning. It's a shame too, because I really liked my 400, and it was fairly intuitive to use. I was told that there would be at least a 4 week turn around. I returned it to Costco for a refund. Recently I purchased a Lowrance, and I find that it is not quite as intuitive as my old 400. I think that I'll put it on eBay. Garmin seems to be a quite a bit more expensive than I can afford, but it seems that most people are happy with them.

I just wish that the eXplorists didn't have that problem with the buttons.

Hi,

The zoom_in button finally stopped working completely. Last week I did send in my x600 for repair.

I was told that the x600 will be send from the Netherlands to Thales in France for repairs (in this case replacing the button-pad, I think). The Dutch import organisation (I think anybody), is not qualified to do ANY repairs, from the viewpoint of Thales. Is there a kind of arrangement to send ALL Magellan repairs to France? Not so good: this will cost at least 10-14 days extra.

I'm lucky to still have my old Yellow Meridian, so caching will continue. (But I will miss routing very, very much the coming 4 weeks. :( )

Regards, Rudolf.