Newbie Questions From Sweden

Dr Tinnitus

Hello.

I live in Sweden and has just recently discovered the fun with geocaching, and ofcource I have some questions.

1. I have a Garmin 60CSx GPS and Mapsource with City Select Europe on my computer. When I search her at Groundspeak för geocaches to download from my area I first download them as .loc files in at folder. And then when I start Mapsource and click "open" to load the .loc files I have to open then one by one which feels very akward. With ordinary waypoints I just open one file wich have all the waypoints in it. So am I doing something wrong or does it have to be that difficult with the .loc files? Should I choose to download the geocaches in an other file format? What I want is that I just download the geocaches I want and then just open that folder or file just like with ordinary waypoints so that all the geocaches will be opened in Mapsource at once. Is there a way?

2. How can I write comments in each geocache here at Groundspeak when I have found them? Just as a premium member or what?

3. Do I have to be a premium member to place my own geocaches here at Groundspeak?

Dr Tinnitus

1. I'm not familiar with using Mapsource for loading LOC files. Try EasyGPS. Its free and very easy.

2. No, everyone who finds a cache can (and should) log their find here.

3. NO. Anyone can place a cache. The basics of geocaching (hiding and finding caches) are free to everyone. Premium membership brings with it some added features that are very helpful.

1. I'm not familiar with using Mapsource for loading LOC files. Try EasyGPS. Its free and very easy.

3. NO. Anyone can place a cache. The basics of geocaching (hiding and finding caches) are free to everyone. Premium membership brings with it some added features that are very helpful.

Thank you for your respond.

I have now installed EasyGPS on my computer, but it still seems like I have to open the .loc files one by one and transfer them one by one to my GPS. I've just fiddle around a short time with it so maybe I'm doing something wrong!?

I've found the funtion for logging comments to caches I've found.

Dr Tinnitus

Thank you for your respond.

I have now installed EasyGPS on my computer, but it still seems like I have to open the .loc files one by one and transfer them one by one to my GPS. I've just fiddle around a short time with it so maybe I'm doing something wrong!?

I've found the funtion for logging comments to caches I've found.

Dr Tinnitus

No, you should be able to group them all in a single file and load them together. Tell us what steps you are taking and perhaps we can tell you where you are going wrong.

To combine loc files, you can do it the manual way. In a loc file, type Ctrl A, this will select all of the locations. Then type Ctrl C, this will copy the selected files. Then open the loc file you want to combine the others into. Type Ctrl V, and this will paste the files into the currently open loc file. Repeat as needed.

I assume that you are downloading the file from each cache page, which would give you individual files for each cache.

If you look at the search page there is a box that you can check for each cache and then there is a "download waypoints" button at the bottom of the page. This would limit the files to one per page of caches.

Only other way to have the waypoints in one file would be to become a premium member and use pocket queries and/or bookmark lists.

Edited by Polar B's

I assume that you are downloading the file from each cache page, which would give you individual files for each cache.

If you look at the search page there is a box that you can check for each cache and then there is a "download waypoints" button at the bottom of the page. This would limit the files to one per page of caches.

Only other way to have the waypoints in one file would be to become a premium member and use pocket queries and/or bookmark lists.

That was the trick for me, now it works just like you said. Thank you.

Dr Tinnitus