Hacking The Etrex Legend

Please define "hacking" - what are you trying to accomplish, or what is your interest? I have a Legend, too, so I'd be curious as well. Google doesn't turn up much when I've looked.

p.s. - your ASCII graphic is messed up - use a fixed-width font like Courier New to fix.

Please define "hacking" - what are you trying to accomplish, or what is your interest? I have a Legend, too, so I'd be curious as well. Google doesn't turn up much when I've looked.

p.s. - your ASCII graphic is messed up - use a fixed-width font like Courier New to fix.

By hacking I mean any hard/software alterations modifications to the eTrex Legend, or any eTrex family of GPSr's. Such as modifiying it to use an external antenna, things of that nature.

I've added the HTML tag to my signature to use the Courier New font, but that hasn't done any good. :-(

Edited by Digital_Cowboy

MeMap is a program which changes the "lawyer screen" page into an owner information (or other user edited data) page. It was originally written for the old eMap GPSr and no longer works with that model (using its current firmware version), but it DOES still work for the eTrex series GPSrs!

While your Legend does come with its own built-in owner information screen, a thief of finder of the unit may find it easy to change that data in the menu. They'd find it MUCH more difficult to change the lawyer screen though! :shocked:

There's another program similar to MeMap called GpsWarn

If you're interested in using it with an external antenna, you might be interested in a re-radiating antenna. A popular one in the forum is the PC-MOBILE antenna. It is more portable because it uses batteries instead of the car's cigarette lighter. I have no direct experience with this device, but others have posted praise for it in other threads.

If you're just interested in hacking an eTrex, you could GOOGLE "HACKING ETREX"

Edited by Neo_Geo

MeMap is a program which changes the "lawyer screen" page into an owner information (or other user edited data) page. It was originally written for the old eMap GPSr and no longer works with that model (using its current firmware version), but it DOES still work for the eTrex series GPSrs!

While your Legend does come with its own built-in owner information screen, a thief of finder of the unit may find it easy to change that data in the menu. They'd find it MUCH more difficult to change the lawyer screen though! :shocked:

If you're interested in using it with an external antenna, you might be interested in a re-radiating antenna. A popular one in the forum is the PC-MOBILE antenna. It is more portable because it uses batteries instead of the car's cigarette lighter. I have no direct experience with this device, but others have posted praise for it in other threads.

Neo_Geo,

Thanks for the links, I'm checking 'em out right now.

Neo-Geo, can you tell me how to change the info listed on the owners info screen on the blue etrex legend.

It's the first screen that shows up when starting the unit. I have software version 390 thanks.

Neo-Geo, can you tell me how to change the info listed on the owners info screen on the blue etrex legend.

It's the first screen that shows up when starting the unit. I have software version 390 thanks.

Neo-Geo doesn't seem to be an active cacher any longer.