Hiding A Cache Near A Benchmark

Harry Dolphin

KV5825 looks like an interesting benchmark to recover, even if it's only worth two points. Last found in 1942. 1.6 miles in by dirt roads in 1942. But probably only a .2 mile bushwhack from the rest area on I-80, and a 200' climb. It looks like an interesting area in which to put a geocache! The view should be gorgeous. I could probably expect two finds a year! Shall I go for it? Hee hee hee.

I know plenty of cachers who wouldn't even flinch a little bit of bushwacking. Some would even look forward to it. Placing a cache near a mark may even introduce some cachers to benchmark and benchmarking. I have three caches which see. use, or otherwise identify a nearby benchmark. None require a great deal of bushwacking (or even walking for that matter), but all of the benchmarks are logable on GC.com and many cachers have said in their posts that it was the first benchmark they'd found and logged. See GCD754, Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200 for an example.

Keep on Caching! - Kewaneh

I've thought about using a benchmark in a cache. So far, the two caches I've put down, a while back, Stargazing - Salt of the Earth (no nearby caches in a 75 mi. radius) and Book-Caching are next to observatories to get people interested in astronomy, and explore my wife's Book-Crossing link hobby.

Hmm, maybe one more cache. Three is manageable.

Edited by BuckBrooke

The newest description sounds like it is on private property. Permission to place a cache? Permission to search the BM? Just a thought. James

KV5825 looks like an interesting benchmark to recover, even if it's only worth two points. Last found in 1942. 1.6 miles in by dirt roads in 1942. But probably only a .2 mile bushwhack from the rest area on I-80, and a 200' climb. It looks like an interesting area in which to put a geocache! The view should be gorgeous. I could probably expect two finds a year! Shall I go for it? Hee hee hee.

Edited by James1549