Total Newbie Question

OK, so this is probably a really dumb question that only exposes my ignorance but I am going to ask it anyway.

I just got my Explorist 210 unit and I have enjoyed using it but it doesn't seem to be accurate to more than around 20-30 feet. is this just a function of my own ignorance or is this typical? Is the cahce possibly not in the exact spot? I have tried walking a circle around the area and this seems to help narrow it down but I am still off by quite a bit.

Again, is this typical or am I just dumb? :laughing:

Perfectly typical, others can explain this better but the average citizen's gps has a limited amount of accuracy. It's ususally not going to bring you within a few feet of the cache. If you add in heavy tree coverage or cliff walls you will have even less accuracy.

Generally when hunting for a cache I'll try to 'zero out' the best I can and then start searching out to about 30 - 50 feet.

Edit: spelling

Edited by BlueDeuce

Lumpy, also keep in mind that the person who hid the cache also had a position error of some amount. That coupled with the EPE on your unit can mean you have to search a bit.

But that's part of the fun, trying to get into the mind of the cache hider, isn't it?

Let me start by saying I too am new at this but maybe I can help a little.

GPS units in general are not going to be exactly "dead on" right down to the spot. With that being said they are an excellent indication of a fairly small area in which the cache is hidden.

In my opinion there is an "art" to using your gps to locate the cache and you will improve on your technique with time just as any other task you might try.

I use to walk in circles myself frantically looking for the cache so to speak,,,, LOL

Here are a few tips I have learned that help me,, they may not help you,,, but try them and see. ;)

1. Remember how your GPS unit works there is a second or so delay so to speak so if your moving allow for that when monitoring the screen while walking, also delays in readings can be dramatic if under tree cover or poor sky visabiltiy. In the case of poor coverage slow down watch the reciever, get a feel for the rate at which the screen updates in relation to your speed of movements.

2. I think this has helped me as much as any....... when you feel your are close to a cache ,,,30 feet or so but cant find it then start by backing off a few feet and with the GPS in navigation mode walk slowly in the direction of the pointer watch the pointer while walking in a "straight line" Note the point where the pointer swings 90 degrees from you, I have found by making a couple passes through an area I can sort of visually triangulate a much smaller spot to search.

3. When you feel you have narrowed the area down as much as posssible forget the GPS and start to think to yourself now where would be a good hiding spot in that area ?? Remember we are all creatures of habit !!!

Last but not least Watch where your going especially when around dangerous hills, bluffs roads etc.....

it is so easy to get locked on to the GPS unit you forget where you are walking !!!

I guess in short im trying to say " you kinda get a feel for it " so to speak

Hope I have not confused you even more !!!

OK, so this is probably a really dumb question that only exposes my ignorance but I am going to ask it anyway.

I just got my Explorist 210 unit and I have enjoyed using it but it doesn't seem to be accurate to more than around 20-30 feet. is this just a function of my own ignorance or is this typical? Is the cahce possibly not in the exact spot? I have tried walking a circle around the area and this seems to help narrow it down but I am still off by quite a bit.

Again, is this typical or am I just dumb? <_<

The first cache my wife and I found with my Vista Cx was a bulls eye. We folllowed the arrow and slowly approached the cache as the unit finally came to rest on zero. There under some bushes right at our feet was the ammo can. We found 25 more caches in the following weeks but not one was near the GPSr zero. Most were within a 20' to 30' foot radius. We found a micro a few days ago that the GPSr took us to within 5 feet from and 6 feet up. (magnetic on a signal light pole). It appears to me that some people who have recently hiddin caches are using better technology (Newer GPSr's)

The coordinates they post should be better.

I am a slow learner so I had to ask a lot of forum questions which were answered quickly and accurately by the smart guys and ladies who are active here. Keep trying and your results will improve

Timk54