Can't Load Cachemate (pocket Pc Version)

I realise that this is probalby going to be so easy but unless I have instructions along the "Find start button on your computer, now press it to turn it on..." style of simplicity I just can't seem to cope, here goes.

I have just acquired a Pocket pc (not palm). I want to load cachemate onto it, I have gone to the cachmate site and downloaded it onto my pc. "Cachmate will not operate on the pc", ok fair enough but how do I get it onto my pda? If I understand it correctly I need to open the programme to drag it onto the pda from pc, to open cachmate I need to purchase it, to purchase it I need the Smittywave ID which is apparantly provided at the programme's registration prompt. How the heck do I get to the prompt stage?

I have read & re-read Lynne & Mark's excellent Paperless caching and Moote's likewise excellent Guide but I know I'm missing something.

Short of somebody giving up their bank holiday and coming around to the house to sit with me and mop my brow as I struggle is there a foolproof guide for the most basic of tasks that I have missed somewhere?

Any and all help gratefully welcomed, until then it's back to the A4 I'm afraid... bugger! :mad:

As you've downloaded Cachemate you'll have the EXE file sitting on your PC somewhere. Don't attempt to open it - you need to start Activesync then click the Explore button, and manually drag and drop the EXE file from your PC to the Pocket PC. Once you've done that, start File Explorer on the Pocket PC and find the file you just copied across. Open it using File Explorer and it will install Cachemate to the Pocket PC for you.

You don't need to purchase the software to open it, but you'll be limited to a demo version of I think 10 caches unless you shell out the money, but it's pretty cheap and well worth it in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Edited by leecee

As you've downloaded Cachemate you'll have the EXE file sitting on your PC somewhere. Don't attempt to open it - you need to start Activesync then click the Explore button, and manually drag and drop the EXE file from your PC to the Pocket PC. Once you've done that, start File Explorer on the Pocket PC and find the file you just copied across. Open it using File Explorer and it will install Cachemate to the Pocket PC for you.

I have never done a pocket pc application install that way, but based it looks like it works. I'll have to check it out.

The advice provided is correct. Just drag it onto the device using ActiveSync and then open it under File Explorer. It will run the installation program.

Note: If you have a "square" display instead of a "rectangle", there are problems with the installation program. You can send tech support at Smittyware a note asking them for the "CAB" version and they'll send it to you. The "CAB" version will install on square displays (like the HP IPAQ). You install it the same way however ... drag it using ActiveSync and then click on it in file explorer.

Edited by Lasagna