Isle Of Wight

We've recently won a competition to have a three night break at the Harcourt Sands Holiday Village near Ryde and were wondering if any other cachers have ever been there. We have checked to see if there are any caches in the area and have noted quite a few to keep ourselves amused with. Have never been to the Isle of Wight but have been told it's a lovely place.

We've recently won a competition to have a three night break at the Harcourt Sands Holiday Village near Ryde and were wondering if any other cachers have ever been there. We have checked to see if there are any caches in the area and have noted quite a few to keep ourselves amused with. Have never been to the Isle of Wight but have been told it's a lovely place.

Yes the IOW is a lovely place and I have spent 3 days caching there with some mates and we had a great time.

With 3 nights available you have a good chance of bagging all the available IOW caches should you want to. They are spread around the island so you'll see plenty of it. I can recommend the 'Vectis' series and 'Diamond Isle' (currently temp. disabled but may be back on line when you're there). The 'Lord Palmerston' is also good, as is the 'Ledge' (though this one is a fairly lengthy walk). Although an island there are some fairly steep gradients and some of the roads are quite narrow.

Forgot to mention it earlier - do the 3 nights include Ferry travel from the mainland? Depending when you book/travel it can be quite costly to get over to the IOW. It's allegedly one of the most expensive water crossings around :mad:

It also might be worth your while signing up for WightLinks newsletter - they often email you with special offers on fares. You can register at WightLink Special Offers.

Edited to add: ... and no I don't work for the IOW tourist board!

Edited by Hi-Tek

Crikey - £130

Before everyone scrubs the IOW off their 'to do' lists, if you plan your journey carefully you can do it for less than £50.

I have the tipping point at £50 - if I travel for less than that I'm OK with the cost, more than that and I'm irritated. I go over every couple of months and hardly ever go above the £50, I think my best is £36.

<_< We were very lucky because the ferry travel was is included in the prize. I did have a luck at the ferry prices and it seemed to be going to cost about £130 for the four of us and the car to get over there.

In view of Slimey's post it might be prudent to get your freebie booking in poste-haste :rolleyes:

New record - went to the Isle of Wight yesterday on Wightlink (usually the more expensive choice) for £34 (yes, including the car!)

Harcourt Sands - I've just realised I know where it is - it's a nice area - if it's sunny you can.....sorry, you'll be caching won't you :shocked: