Cashe Placing ?'s Not Covered

catcher28

Hi Catcher!

The best advice: Get permission.

The second best advice: Find a few more before you start planning your first hide.

Don't be afraid to seek permission. Really! Print-out the introductory materials from Geocaching.com. Educate the appropriate entity about geocaching - then jump in!

Once you've found a few more, you'll have a better idea of what is common practice in your area - and where you're probably safe venturing out from those.

Just some thoughts! Welcome!

2. There are caches actually in many librarys. But if its indoors you NEED permission. If its outdoors, I would not worry.<<<<<<<

Tell me more! What types of caches are library friendly? We spend our share of time between a couple in our area and it would be fun to place one in them! Do libraries tend to be cooperative when asked? Thanks!

2. There are caches actually in many librarys. But if its indoors you NEED permission. If its outdoors, I would not worry.<<<<<<<

Tell me more! What types of caches are library friendly? We spend our share of time between a couple in our area and it would be fun to place one in them! Do libraries tend to be cooperative when asked? Thanks!

One in my area is Caching- A Great Hobby (GCRRQG)

I'm sure it depends on which librarian you talk to and how you approach them. Most people are cooperative when they're approached the right way.

If you walk up to a librarian while everything is busy and you explain Geocahing as "a sport where people walk around in public gardens" is not the way to do it. Explain the Good things such as getting kids active with their parents. and so on.

From what I have heard about library caches is there must be a physical container with a log. But one main problem is that GPS's dont work inside of a building. So there is usually a container outside with a dewey decimal number on the container or on a peice of paper.

I would also agree with finding more before you hide one. When I first started (not that long ago) I thought it cant be that hard. I now relize that the hide must be good to be hidden from muggles.

Have a great night!

Unicyclist

I have a friend who's a librarian, so I discussed the idea with her and she set up a meeting with the library director. I brought in the container I planned to use, ready to go, so she could see it, answered a few questions, and that was it. They even placed a label on the spine so it would blend better. They considered adding it to the card catalog, but since they are part of a multiple library system they were afraid someone at another branch would see and request the 'volume'.

One thing I tried to be very clear about was that it should not lead to any disruption or additional work for her staff, and I tried to emphasize on the cache page that folks should not bother the librarians, though they were all informed of its presence.

Our local library does kid activities during the summer. One way to get friendly with the library is to offer to develop a program for the kids. Make it a puzzle where they have to discover certain things in order to solve the clues to find the cache. The only downside here is either making it achievable by all age groups (which may bore older kids), making multiple clue sets for each age group (a lot of work), or stating its for a certain age group (which may alienate a large population of kids at the library or have younger kids try it anyway and get frustrated/upset).

This is on my to-do list with my Girl Scouts, but with end of year activities at the school, it may have to wait until mid-summer <_<