Dazed And Confused

oneil1973

Hi everyone! :D

I'm pretty new to this hobby and while I am enjoying the fresh air and exercise, I'm getting really frustrated :D that I'm not finding any caches. I am probably not looking in the right sorts of places, or for the right things. Is there anyone who lives in Massachusetts who would be willing to take me along on a few searches so I can get the hang of this whole thing. Or is there a place I could go to learn these basics? Help!

When we started geocaching, we too got frustrated when we weren't finding any caches. Then we went after a 1/1 cache close to home that had a hint that made it a very quick and easy find. Seeing what a geocache looks like, and how it was hidden, made all the difference. We've been caching for almost a year now.

So, our advice is: Find a simple one close to home, one with an obvious hint. Keep at it. Finding that first cache will open it up for you.

Edited by Sugar Glider Sweatshop

Hi everyone! :D

I'm pretty new to this hobby and while I am enjoying the fresh air and exercise, I'm getting really frustrated :D that I'm not finding any caches. I am probably not looking in the right sorts of places, or for the right things. Is there anyone who lives in Massachusetts who would be willing to take me along on a few searches so I can get the hang of this whole thing. Or is there a place I could go to learn these basics? Help!

Sugar Glider Sweatshop has a good idea. You also might want to try posting this in the regional forum for Massachusetts - the MA cachers will read it and be the ones most likely to be able to help take you out caching.

Northeast Forums (includes Massachusetts)

If you clic the link, it should take you to the Northeast forums where you can post for other Massachusetts cachers.

oh, and of course it dawns on me after my other post, but you can also try e-mailing some of the local cachers. When you look at the near by caches, do you see one hider who has hidden a lot of them? If so, go to one of their cache pages, and click on the "profile" option beside their name at the top. They'll likely know if there's a local caching group or listserve or forum or ... *note* I'm not recommending e-mailing every single cacher in your area, but to e-mail one or two and politely ask if they can give you any pointers (either by going out caching with you to find some of the caches and teach you the ropes or by giving you info to find some other area cachers) that should be fine.

Also, along that line - keep an eye out for event caches nearby. Their icon is a little "word bubble" - like the words are written in on cartoons. A lot of cachers will go out in groups caching afterwards, and you can learn a lot that way. (plus, generally the cachers who host events are more than willing to take new cachers out for a test run of caching to learn the ropes).

edit: still need those typing lessons...

Edited by Beffums

Make sure the caches you attempt have been recently found. Read the past logs for clues. It gets easier as you do more caches. Koikeeper and I have over 700 finds and I spent 20 minutes looking for a new micro in our area and Did Not Find it. I think it's already muggled .... so I asked the cache owner for a hint ... or to confirm it is still there. :rolleyes: ImpalaBob

Hi everyone! :huh:

I'm pretty new to this hobby and while I am enjoying the fresh air and exercise, I'm getting really frustrated <_< that I'm not finding any caches. I am probably not looking in the right sorts of places, or for the right things. Is there anyone who lives in Massachusetts who would be willing to take me along on a few searches so I can get the hang of this whole thing. Or is there a place I could go to learn these basics? Help!

If you haven't found any, you may have a fundamental problem, like a wrong map datum. Or be trying especially hard ones inadvertently.

I'm not really close enough to offer help directly, but the regional forums are a good idea. Very many active cachers in the area. And if you find yourself near Norwood, try Pandemic Park. It's an easy one in a neighborhood park that has been the first find for many (and it's mine, so I'm willing to give extra sooper dooper hints, if necessary).

Hi everyone! :huh:

I'm pretty new to this hobby and while I am enjoying the fresh air and exercise, I'm getting really frustrated <_< that I'm not finding any caches. I am probably not looking in the right sorts of places, or for the right things. Is there anyone who lives in Massachusetts who would be willing to take me along on a few searches so I can get the hang of this whole thing. Or is there a place I could go to learn these basics? Help!

There are some tricky ones around Marlborough, but there are also some very straightforward ones. Try Robin Hill Cemetery Cache -- it's a quick and easy find in an interesting spot.