Gpxview On Pocket Pc

Hello .. I am using a Garmin Gpsmap 76CS like it alot but its costing alot money to print out the caches for the day so i downloaded GPXView for my pocket Pc and install it on my pocket Pc but how do i get the notes ect on my pockect computer. if someone has an answer please tell me sept by sept I am slow with this stuff.

thank you

Pretty simple to do this, assuming you are a premium gc member..

1. Load GSAK on your PC

2. Download GPX files either as pocket queries or individual files

3. Load the GPX files into GSAK

4. Export from GSAK into a GPX file

5. Copy that export GPX file from your PC to your pocket PC

6. Load the GPX file into GPSView on your pocket PC and you're good to go!

It's easier than that.

1) Use your premium membership to generate a GPX file using a pocket querty (look in your premium member features section of your my geocaching page)

2) Copy that GPX file to your PDA.

3) Use GPXview to open the GPX file.

I've never gotten past the learning curve on GSAK and only use it to keep a mega GPX file of my finds.

You can also use GPXSonar like GPX View if your PDA will run it.

You will want to keep your GPX file sizes down when using GPX View or GPX Sonar. With a large number of caches they will take a long time to load and use up a lot of program memory. Some options:

* Use a program that maintains it's own (more optimized database) like CacheMate or BeeLine GPS

* Use MobiPocket and select the eBook option with your Pocket Queries

* Use GPX Spinner or GSAK to generate HTML files which you can copy to your PPC.

I like the HTML format GSAK generates. I do that on occasion to have some quick viewing of cache information. While I've used MobiPocket for years with eBooks I don't like the format/setup of the cache information.

-al

Hello .. I am using a Garmin Gpsmap 76CS like it alot but its costing alot money to print out the caches for the day so i downloaded GPXView for my pocket Pc and install it on my pocket Pc but how do i get the notes ect on my pockect computer. if someone has an answer please tell me sept by sept I am slow with this stuff.

thank you

Pretty simple to do this, assuming you are a premium gc member..

1. Load GSAK on your PC

2. Download GPX files either as pocket queries or individual files

3. Load the GPX files into GSAK

4. Export from GSAK into a GPX file

5. Copy that export GPX file from your PC to your pocket PC

6. Load the GPX file into GPSView on your pocket PC and you're good to go!

Thank you

Russell

SORRY but this thread is confusing.. do you need to purchase GSAK or have a paid subscription to Geocaching.com? I downloaded GPXview to my PPC and can load the GSAK files i generated in GSAK but it only gives you brief info about the cache and not the full notes. So which is it?!

thanks in advance for any help here

You do not have to purchase anything. The programs you purchase of the premium membership will just make things easier. The big advantage with the premium membership is that you will be able to create a customized gpx file with just the caches you want on it (up to 500). It will also give youmore information. When you look at a cache that is gpx if will give you the entire cache page including the hint. It will also give you the last 5 logs. The .loc file that you can upload for free will not give you all of this information. I find this additional information well worth the $30 per year cost.

Since I have never used gpxview with a .loc file I am not sure it will even read the format. It says GPX view after all.

Edited by Night Stalker

You do not have to purchase anything. The programs you purchase of the premium membership will just make things easier. The big advantage with the premium membership is that you will be able to create a customized gpx file with just the caches you want on it (up to 500). It will also give youmore information. When you look at a cache that is gpx if will give you the entire cache page including the hint. It will also give you the last 5 logs. The .loc file that you can upload for free will not give you all of this information. I find this additional information well worth the $30 per year cost.

Since I have never used gpxview with a .loc file I am not sure it will even read the format. It says GPX view after all.

Night Stalker, many thanx for your reply. think you DO need to purchase a subscription to be able to upload the (FULL) cache notes to a Pocket PC. So I did the $30 (£16 as im in UK) and now I can do just that! However today, there were many times id wished id printed the cache notes as i was holding a £350 GPS in one hand and £300 PDA in the other plus walking through brambles! For offline browsing the PDA is great for researching the caches, but not so sure in the field! However, I must admit I was filming my FIRST cache and had a £400 video camera in the "other" hand.. or should I say when i could hold it!!

Edited by stingray67